Are these people serious?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to come off as a bible thumping know-it-all but it indeed started off as a religious thing. It is a holy union by God. Gen:18 says, The LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” and 23-24 says, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,for she was taken out of man.” For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

No it didn't. Though I will point out why i'm sure you'll deny any bearing the following will have on your belief, which is ok. Creationism is a point of view to acknowledge as something any person of sound mind and thought, and willingness to question and to learn should chance upon in their own reflection of the self.

Human babies are born premature. What does premature mean? When you compare a newborn human infant to a newborn mammalian animal such as a deer, or a horse, or a whale, these baby animals exhibit the ability to stand, walk and run (or swim in the latter case) almost immediately. Human babies cannot. While both human and animal babies depend on their mothers for nourishment and protection, the former also depends on the mother with the ability to feed itself and movement.

Why are human babies born premature? When comparing the skeletal structure of modern man to those of prehistoric semi-bipedal hominids, certain key features set us apart. Our cranial structures, the position of our spines and shapes of the digits on our hands and feet etc. A key feature that sets us apart which you will find with the advent of fully bipedal hominids are our hips. Specifically in the female, though modern women's hip structure is generally wider than their male counterparts (which is sexy, yes) they were much wider in our hominid ancestors. You can see the same trait when studying the skeleton of our closest "cousins" the chimpanzees. For better reference, here is an example:

AustralopithecusErectus.jpg

The wider hip structure in the skeletons of our ancestors allowed for less premature births in their offpsring. With the evolution of walking upright (for locomotion and energy consumption) our skeletons had to adapt and thus the hips of our ancestors, like we who descend from them, narrowed. The narrowing of the hips would lead to the birthing of smaller, more fragile and dependent premature human babies.

What does this have to do with marriage and god? Well... going back to the above statements, the evolution of man's ability to walk upright leading to premature births (which isn't the same definition of premature births by today's standards) equally led to the male-female pair-bonding. The premature infant baby in all its fragility and weakness required a mother to tend to its needs for surivial. Any mother here can attest to it. Hell... any father here can attest to it by watching their baby mamas. :huhwhy: When considering the role of the mother caring for and protecting a small premature infant, one must also consider the mother's needs to survive also while taking care of its baby. This was the role of the father, to further ensure the survival of his offspring and to spread his seed, he would hunt and forage to feed his female partner and child for their own survival and ultimately the survival of its species.

They did this through pair-bonding. They survived through this coupling and what would ultimately become known as marriage.

So you see, while the word "marriage" and "matrimony" may incur the idea of religion, that is only because of our modern times and the encompassing truth that most of our world is dominated by a majority of religious minded peoples. Be it a cult, or a major religion like Christianity, Catholicism, Islam, Hindu and what have you.

Historically, it isn't until you introduce the word "holy" coupled with "matrimony" that the term "marriage" becomes something more than male-female pair-bonding. Which is essentially... what "marriage" is. With a license, or "blessed" by one's identified denomination and deity.

Anthropology is a great subject btw. I recommend it for any student. :regurg:

That would be interesting if you're into the theory of evolution. I don't buy it. Christian anthropology is just as interesting. I'm more interested in subjects that actually have value and things to back it up.

Edited by Hera

That's just asking for a flame war.

I'm sorry. I'm not meaning to start something. But to be honest, there are more evidence to back up my beliefs than those of evolutionists. I have nothing against them. Go for it..I have nothing against science.

It's all about theories though. Once it's proven, there's really no argument.

holy shit it looks like its gonna be on in this topic just remember to touch gloves and i want a nice clean fight.

No it's not. Seriously, everyone should feel free speaking out their views. It doesn't mean I have to go along with it. We can agree to disagree.

What are you disagreeing about exactly? I think I got lost back there.

Lol nothing :), guess Hera decided to edit her post, I'll respect it by not saying what it said though.

Anyways, theory is just theory, at least you state that. You remind me of someone I know, and this is usually the part in the conversation where we would start screaming at each other.

Lol nothing :), guess Hera decided to edit her post, I'll respect it by not saying what it said though.

Anyways, theory is just theory, at least you state that. You remind me of someone I know, and this is usually the part in the conversation where we would start screaming at each other.

lol..I edited because I misspelled something. I'm kinda anal that way.

I wouldn't scream or force feed my beliefs on anyone. However, if I disagree I will say such. You can respect a view and disagree as well and state your reasons as to why. I don't think that arguing will prove any point on either perspective.

Seriously, everyone should feel free speaking out their views.

Everybody sucks and I'm the g0d of awesomeness. Bow before my religion of Awesomism. Bingo night every Wednesday.