'Engrish' in arcade games

I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice the terrible ‘Engrish’ translations of game dialogue present in a lot of Japanese developed arcade games. SNK games are the worst I’ve seen. ‘Victory’ became ‘Victoly’ in the later Samurai Shodown games, which of course should be Samurai Showdown anyway. I mean I could quote an endless amount of stinkers here but it’d take too long. In general Capcom were better at their translations but not perfect.

My question is, has anyone thought of making bootleg versions of games where the dialogue has been edited into better English? If bootlegs can be made adding characters and stuff, edits to text should be relatively simple right?

I'm pretty sure Aero Fighters 2 tops ALL games for bad Engrish. I don't think there is a single screen between stages that doesn't have some Engrish.

My favorite - "Fry to the rainforest and save the nature"

My favorite - "Fry to the rainforest and save the nature"

Yeah I remember that one. Do you think people maybe aren't interested in proper translations coz the bad ones are funny?

Edited by The-Ice-Man

Don't know, but I know if I get an Aerofighters 2 cart for my MVS, and I can easily fix the ROM that stuff is on, I'm going to. The amount of Engrish in that game is downright annoying.

Personally, I like it the way it is. It gives more character and enables appreciation for foreign game design. Plus, it'll make me laugh every now and then which is a good thing 'cause I tend to get very "in to" my gaming.

" GET IT MORE "

hahaha that would be good English in a different context :shootem:

Personally, I like it the way it is. It gives more character and enables appreciation for foreign game design. Plus, it'll make me laugh every now and then which is a good thing 'cause I tend to get very "in to" my gaming.

Same here. Those arcade games have a whole different kind of charm to them thanks to unbelievably bad English localization. Granted, the localizations back in the day were made by the japanese themselves; you can't really expect them to be any good at it, when they can't really do it 100% right nowadays either (when they decide to try and use English words in "creative" ways, for example - Plus the whole L R thing just doesn't fit into their consciousness).

That reminds me: Twnkle Star Sprites has some pretty lolworthy stuff. Most of the Neo-Geo games do, though.

It's funny in games like Aero Fighters, which are light hearted and humorous games, but when it comes to cut scenes in fighting games, that are supposed to be serious and epic, like in the Last Blade when you get to the bosses, it kinda takes away from the scene I find.

It is the neogeo's that are the worst. SNK obviously never employed any English translators whereas I think Capcom may have.

Thinking back to the last time I played Final Fantasy VII, I don't remember a single mistake in the English dialogue. And there's tonnes in that. I'm guessing Sqaresoft had an english devision that worked on it.