Has Anyone here ever gone to the Navy?

Like the topic title implies, im curious to know how the navy is actually like and also i was hoping if anyone here ever did some serving time?

I might be looking to actually join the Navy after i get my bachelors degree, only if this recession gets anyworse. Theres also another reason i might be interested in joining, like for other goals i have in mind - being a better college and a chance to achieve what i want and make some of my other goals more realistic.

What im interested in hearing are the kind of benefits you get and does it really help you in terms of persuing a career, and do they really help you get into prostigue colleges like princeton, yale or even stanford.

Anyway, im just curious is all for the moment atleast.

-Thanks

Edited by Snow Patr0l

talk to a recruiter. they should answer all those questions.

my dad and father in law were both in the navy, saw the world and learned skills that kept them working and being payed well all their lives.

when you go for state and federal jobs veterans get considered first.

insurance for life, the G.I bill. collage money. there are alot of benefits. if I could go back to 17 or 18 I would have joined, I think my life would have turned out a lot different.

I know a marine who always said to never listen to the recruiters, that they don't tell you all the facts and crap like that.

Anyways, I say go to the website and actually look it up, talk to a recruiter and actually talk to someone who was recruited.

my dad and father in law were both in the navy, saw the world and learned skills that kept them working and being payed well all their lives.

insurance for life, the G.I bill. collage money. there are alot of benefits. if I could go back to 17 or 18 I would have joined, I think my life would have turned out a lot different.

Well im only 22yrs going on 23, what's the age limit exactly?

The only thing that's really holding me back from going is college and also wondering, if everyone in the navy get's placed in a position where they need to kill people eventually, like for special ops or something..

I know a marine who always said to never listen to the recruiters, that they don't tell you all the facts and crap like that.

Anyways, I say go to the website and actually look it up, talk to a recruiter and actually talk to someone who was recruited.

Indeed, that was also my impression of recruiters, they skip all the important details and basicly tell you how great it will be and change your life and yes, i will look into the official page and see, if i can call someone up if they have a contact number or anything like that.

Edited by Snow Patr0l

Well im only 22yrs going on 23, what's the age limit exactly?

The only thing that's really holding me back from going is college and also wondering, if everyone in the navy get's placed in a position where they need to kill people eventually, like for special ops or something..

I believe the age limit is 32, but if you are going to do it you would want to get started. you don't want to be the oldest guy in boot camp. lol

anyways my dad was a pipe fitter (plumber on a huge scale basically) my step father was a radio operator and my father in law was a mechanic. they were all in Vietnam but never saw front line action. if you don't want to kill people avoid the marines and army, the navy and airforce are largely support roles who are not killing for a living.

I don't know much about the Navy but I have SEVERAL family members and friends that are in the Air Force. They have the BEST benefits out of all the military branches. You can look that up yourself if you don't want to take my word for it. They take better care of their guys. I had one friend in the Navy..he had a dishonorary discharge over something he had a right to stand up about. It was over something medical but I won't get into it. I'll just say after hearing about his experience, I wouldn't put my life in the hands of the Navy.

I don't know much about the Navy but I have SEVERAL family members and friends that are in the Air Force. They have the BEST benefits out of all the military branches. You can look that up yourself if you don't want to take my word for it. They take better care of their guys. I had one friend in the Navy..he had a dishonorary discharge over something he had a right to stand up about. It was over something medical but I won't get into it. I'll just say after hearing about his experience, I wouldn't put my life in the hands of the Navy.

I have been hearing about that alot from a friend who also attended in the navy, they basically kick you off for certain offenses for sabotage, murder or espionage and maybe also for being too afraid. Heh, espionage sounds fun :thumbsup1:

Edited by Snow Patr0l

You should become a SEAL.

Well you know, I think you MIGHT have something there..

*shifts*

Anyway, I got a chance to talk with a recruiter, what's funny was the first thing he asked me was if i knew how a swim, and ofcourse i said yes, but not as far as to another island.

And then i asked him if he could just give me all the details and not just try to lure me in (well works both ways)

First he was telling me i need to go through some bootcamp training, then once i was done with that basicly they would send me to some kind of school refered to as a nuke school. But he also mentions that once i get to bootcamp i have to choose 3 options..

Machinist - Mechanical operator on nuclear power plant.

Electronics Technician- run the reactor plant itself.

Electrician- Electrical operator on power plant. You fix the electrical system and will be taught a lot of theory.

The guy also told me if i could get by for a few years, that they could pay for education expenses and i get other health care benefits.

.. And yes even now im beginning to think if its still worth it, im such a lazy bum. :P

Edited by Snow Patr0l