How to setup CoinOPS for different game screen resolutions

Cospefogo

:clapping: Awesome!

This'll save me SO much time when I get my Neo-Geo cabinet up and running!

It has an ORIGINAL 20 + inch monitor, So I can run Coinops AND the MVS at the same resolution, with a minimum O' hassle!

May Polybius sing your praises as the dark overlord of the Arcade! :punk:

One thing I did not mention in my tutorial...

Although MAWS database says that all NeoGeo games are 320x224 they are divided in two different sizes indeed.

NeoGeo is:

320x224 and 304x224.

Some games are one, and some games another.

Why that? I have no clue...

And if I am not wrong, could be sets that run in one resolution

and sets that run in another, like for example Samurai Shodown.

But again - I am not sure about this statement. I am just guessing.

Cospefogo.

Thanks for the tutorial, pretty ingenious solution to the resolution issues faced in coinops.

I would love to implement this but simply don;t have the time to search out the default res size for each and every of my 1010 roms (ingnite full vers)

Has anyone got any ideas on how to streamline the sorting of the roms into their different categories?

Is there any sort of list other than individual articles on each rom? treid googling but no joy :clapping:

What would really kick ass is if coinops could somehow auto config the correct resolution for every rom when the rom is loaded.

Thanks for the tutorial, pretty ingenious solution to the resolution issues faced in coinops.

I would love to implement this but simply don;t have the time to search out the default res size for each and every of my 1010 roms (ingnite full vers)

Has anyone got any ideas on how to streamline the sorting of the roms into their different categories?

Is there any sort of list other than individual articles on each rom? treid googling but no joy :clapping:

What would really kick ass is if coinops could somehow auto config the correct resolution for every rom when the rom is loaded.

Hey Spaabck,

I have found a comprehensive list with MAME games and the info about their resolution, but I don't know if it is complete or what. Please check it here:

http://fancyxbox.info/xtras/mamelist.txt

About your suggestion of having MAME setting up the correct resolution I also thought about that, MameX B6 does that... but, since there are many vertical games and some games that run in weird super wide sizes (Like Darius and that with Ninja guys) this could not be good.

The nice thing could be an option that can be turned ON or OFF.

Example: You can have a global video configuration that will force all games to run under it (like the actual CoinOPS) and a Real Screen Size mode. When the latter is turned ON, Mame will check the size of the game and force the correct resolution for it. If it is OFF, Mame will use the Global settings.

I suggested this to BrutneysPairs already, but I don't know if he will work on that, he seems to not care much about the real aspect ratio of the games, and I understand him, most of the people enjoy the blur and the nasty filtered effects - and - most of the people want 100% of the screen used by the image! People don't like black bars on the sizes (like in a 256 width games).

Other thing I remember...

A 10x11 Pixel Aspect Ratio could be awesome.

This is also called 720x480 mode in Xport's emulators.

A very USEFUL feature for wider games on SDTVs running in 480i.

Cheers,

Cospefogo.

Gentlemen,

New tutorial created. For those interested in CoinOPS running with no BLUR and no filters,

visit the URL below, everything is very well detailed there.

http://fancyxbox.info/?doc=1&secao=coinops

Rejoice!

Cospefogo.

Excellent work Cos and thanks for sharing your research!

Still, this is a lot of trouble for something that should be an option within the emulator itself. Can you imagine if everyone had to create multiple versions for EVERY one of Xport's emulators?

Ugh.

Thankfully, we don't have to do that since resolution customization is a standard feature in all of Xport's emulators. No blur-o-vision or the need to run hex edited copies. Someday, hopefully, there will also be a version of MAME that does the same thing since it's THE emulator that needs resolution customization the most.

(...) Someday, hopefully, there will also be a version of MAME that does the same thing since it's THE emulator that needs resolution customization the most. (...)

Yeah man!

I also hope for that.

I wish I could be a skilled Xbox developer to create my own crazy-neurotic stuff,

but since this is absolutely NOT the case, I rely on others good will and good sense.

In the meanwhile, let's keep digging alternative paths to reach our favorite places!

Follow me the brave ones!

:)

Cospefogo.

I actually like this super contra one of my all-time fave arcade games ,right up there with tmnt arcade looks really good i never realised how much of a difference it looks.

certainly looks cool in a pixelated sort of way.