King Of Fighters 2003

-VIOLENCE-

Two big thumbs.......DOWN

This stupidity needs to stop. There have been more than enough releases of the same game for every year.

Just.......plain........stupid.

:)  :)

At least somebody agrees with me here. Don't get me wrong, I love KOF...

But ever since SNK went under, the following KOFs were sort of like watered down versions of the SNK glory day's one. I mean seriously, have you looked at some of the sprites in the recent KOF games... It seems to me that Playmore hasn't really bothered to redesign some of the older characters sprites at all.

---

Still, I've liked every KOF game out there... But I want to expect more from Playmore in terms of graphics and sound. Neo-Geo is, after all, one of the most powerful 2D-only systems out there. I want such graphics splendor in future games as in Garou... And sounds/music up-to-par with the hardware.

---

Unlike someone posted here, 2D games (fighters, shooters, etc.) NEED to stay alive. I don't like to live in a world where ever single game is in 3D, even if they look superb. A perfected 2D game beats the most beautiful of 3D games any day, IMO.

There's my 2 cents.

Edited by Agozer

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3D fighters can be done right.  of course, "right" here is being defined by someone who expects a bit from a fighter rather than a mashing-fest like Tekken (ugh).

they need to make a cel-shaded, 3d fighting game that feels and plays like a 2d fighter.  incredibly high polygon counts (best thing about KoF detail is all the folds in the clothing, like on iori's sleeves and pants legs).  gotta have some seriously high polygon count models.  None of this "break through" arena crap... a simple stage with some people in the background will suffice.  Details are gravy.  None of that tekken-ish play mechanic though.  If the SF/KoF play mechanics aren't the norm, it ain't worth playing.

The good thing about a 2D fighter done in 3D is that the look would be crisp and clear, and could run at very high resolutions with minimal detail loss.  Characters could have multiple "outfits" (Kyo's 94 look and 2000 look, and it's about time Iori tried on a different shirt.  I mean... he's been wearing the same outfit for over 8 years now.)  The kicker though, would be allowing someone to select from multiple move sets.  Like, Kyo could look like Kyo 2000, but could use Kyo 94's moves.  This would be good because people could pick a character and a moveset that they feel most comfortable with.  Home versions, you get to make custom movesets after playing for so long.

Oh, and Mai Shiranui.  in 3D. Vanessa, too.

Holy crap, I'm rambling.

The closest to what you are wanting would be a game that came out on the PSX a long time ago called Street Fighter EX + Alpha. I enjoyed playing it because it had the gameplay of a 2D game with 3D graphics.

BTW, Tekken is not a "mashing-fest". Only a stark-beginner would play it that way. I've watched my brother destroy mashers without any troubles. He in fact, hates 2D fighting games because he says they seem "limited" in the field of depth you have available for strategies. I personally prefer 2D fighters, but I have sense enough to know it's only my personal preference and not to do with anything wrong with 3D fighters.

i played both tekken and sf ex+alpha! i wouldn't say tekken is mashing fest, but due to the lack of super-moves (not those uber-powerfull charging moves) the game would rather seem more limited than a 2D fighting game! sf ex+alpha

had awfull 3D gfx, it sucked and basically was the same as any other sf game!!!!

KoF Online is a rpg and u can only choose from Kyo, Kula, Kim Jae Hoon and Iori

i think! i saw some pics rather discourageing!!!!!!!! kof2003 has to faaaaaast!!!!

kof2k2 was extremly fast and my friend who plays kof with me (Romania doesn't actually have many arcades[mostly 4-5 in all the country] so the few people

that have dicovered neo geo and kof try to emulate) couldn't keep up the pace!!!

a match, in my opinion, has to be fast, short, goregeaous and has to be done with style!! i strive to do so!!!

too bad eolith had to take their charecters with them, those morons!!!!

i mean kof should have had k9999, angel, kula and may lee(definetly may lee instead of chang)!!!

while your argument is good, we must agree chang and choi are very signature characters of KOF. Obviously Choi is with SVC now, but removing Chang will dissapoint many fans.

Don't get me wrong, Lee Jin Jun is awesome character. but her clothing is a tad weak. except for the nice scarf.

personaly, I prefere choi over chang! but still many would welcome

kim-jhun-may lee instead because of their awesome capabilities!

i agree chang and choi may be signature characters, but among

cooler, more powerfull characters they kinda pale!!!!

iori should try a different shirt for once, and nezumi's argument with the custom character moves is awesome!!! shingo will have random flames,

did u guys know that?

2d fighters rock. They are fun to play, require great skill to master, and usually have gorgeous and artistic graphics to boot.

The vast majority of 3d fighters do not rock. They are utter boredom to play, can usually be beaten through infantile button-mashing, and the 3d graphics are mostly dull, sterile and uninspiring.