Wii Bricked!

Shoma

Ok, I was just about to add the twilight hack to my wii when i was given a warning that the Wii could be bricked!(which is like the 3 rings for the wii--- i think)

Um, By what means can the wii be bricked?

Is it something that happens often?

looks like a buncha arguing over there.

If possible i would like to bring all da info over here to 1emu, once i find it.

UPDATE: I have updated this guide. If anyone feels that I have edited out any important information from this guide feel free to let me know and I will look into re-adding it.

Any PAL/NTSC(U)/NTSC(J) Wii could be bricked/semi-bricked if you play an Import (out of region) game disc on your Wii and it has a firmware update on it.

Below is a guide to follow when playing a Game Disc that has a firmware update on it.

SAFE:

NTSC(U) Game + NTSC(U) Wii = No chance of a region brick

PAL Game + PAL Wii = No chance of a region brick

NTSC(J) Game + NTSC(J) Wii = No chance of a region brick

CHANCE OF BRICK/SEMI-BRICK:

NTSC(U) Game + PAL/NTSC(J) Wii = Brick is possible if Wii is not updated with latest firmware or Wii Brick Blocked.

PAL Game + NTSC(U)/NTSC(J) Wii = Brick is possible if Wii is not updated with latest firmware or Wii Brick Blocked.

NTSC(J) Game + PAL/NTSC(U) Wii = Brick is possible if Wii is not updated with latest firmware or Wii Brick Blocked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO PROTECT FROM REGION BRICK:

The safest (100%) way to protect your Wii from a region brick is to play game disc that are the same region as your Wii system.

If you choose to play Imports (out of region games) on your Wii system then follow the below steps to protect from a brick/semi-brick issue...

Option 1) Update your Wii to the latest firmware version available from Nintendo. Do this via WiFi by going to the Wii symbol in the bottom left hand corner of main channel menu. Click on Wii settings then go to page 3 and click on system update.

Option 2) Use Wii Brick Blocker download it HERE. Run the program then load the game ISO and click patch. This will change some data on the game disc blocking the update from being installed (Wii brick Blocker does not work on all game ISO files).

I would recommend users to do both steps above. This will give you the best protection to avoid a brick/semi-brick.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

BRICK ISSUES:

Complete Brick = Wii is bricked completely. Automatically boots to the Opera error screen. All hardware is non-responsive.

FIX: NO FIX AT THIS TIME

Semi-Brick = Wii settings are non-responsive (Opera error screen) Disc Channel is responsive and Game Disc's are still playable.

Fix:

Option 1) Bushing has released a ISO fix that can unbrick semi-brick Wii systems. For more information and links go HERE. Make sure you use the proper region ISO that corresponds with the region of your Wii (Your Wii must have a Modchip for this fix).

Option 2) Since system settings are not available you will need to use a Game Disc (Same region as your Wii) that has a higher firmware update on it then the firmware that caused the semi-brick issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

DUPLICATED CHANNELS:

Some out of region updates can install inoperable duplicated Weather/News channels. Follow the below steps to resolve the duplicated channel issue.

Option 1) Move the duplicated channel to another page out of site. Hover over duplicated channel and press B then A holding both of them down drag the channel to the right side to the arrow and release A and B on page 2 or page 3.

Option 2) Use Wii Duplicated Channel Remover v2.1 download it HERE. Download the proper ISO that corresponds to your Wii region. Burn it to DVD and insert it into Wii and run via Game channel. It will detect and remove the duplicated channel data.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an explanation of why a region brick/semi-brick is possible.

Nintendo has placed region locks on the hardware of the Wii. Flashing a firmware of a different region to the Wii simply makes the hardware inoperable.

Edited by Shoma

anytime you are updating firmware on any console (psp, wii, 360, whatever.) you are risking bricking the system, it's the cost to be the boss.

My brother did it to his, and he also got the wiikey a couple of months after.

DOes he play JAp games on it?

No.

Weren't the bricks only if you installed the the firmwares of different regions?

ONly if u update your wii when u start da game. If u update with a dif region then the wii bricks.

Here is how its prevented:

Option 1) Update your Wii to the latest firmware version available from Nintendo. Do this via WiFi by going to the Wii symbol in the bottom left hand corner of main channel menu. Click on Wii settings then go to page 3 and click on system update.

Option 2) Use Wii Brick Blocker download it HERE. Run the program then load the game ISO and click patch. This will change some data on the game disc blocking the update from being installed (Wii brick Blocker does not work on all game ISO files).

Dont worry about bricking your wii, you really cant do it unless you tried if you plan your steps and take your time.

When I had my wii, I had about 30 backups (from all regions) on my ntsc system. I played the new capcom vs games plenty of times but you do have to make sure the firmware isnt on the iso you run before you play it.

I only had a firmware problem once, when I was on 3.0. I burned a star wars the force unleased and without checking the disk I ran it and got updated to 3.2 without my knowledge.

Just make sure that wherever you download your games that either their patched/1:1 depending on game or that the update has been removed if the game has one in.

I think that guy is pulling your chain, you NEVER want to update your wii, especially if that update is 3.4