Disk Boot Failure

Mooney

So I was trying to set up my old computer, since I'm gonna put it into an arcade cabinet I'm getting for free, but I got an error when I tried to turn it on. It went a little something like this...

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernat Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernat Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM. 
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I tried using the Windows installation disk to enter recovery mode, but nothing I did in there seemed to help.

Did you open it up to make sure all the connections are secure? Perhaps clean it with a dust can if its been sitting for a long time?

Did both of those. Everything seemed to be plugged in fine, as far as I could tell.

looks like its not detecting the Hard Drive. Go into the bios and check to see if it's picking it up.

It definitely detects the hard drive. The bios setup utility recognizes it, and I can log into the Windows installation on it when I enter recovery mode using the Windows CD.

looks like its not detecting the Hard Drive. Go into the bios and check to see if it's picking it up.

It definitely detects the hard drive. The bios setup utility recognizes it, and I can log into the Windows installation on it when I enter recovery mode using the Windows CD.

Maybe disconnect this network card its pestering about and see what happens?

Maybe disconnect this network card its pestering about and see what happens?

There is no network card to disconnect :/

Uh looks to me like it's set up for a network boot from a server. Set the BIOS to defaults and try again.

That's strange... guess I'll give it a try, tho.

what about your boot sequence ?

That goes 1. CD-ROM, 2. Hard drive, 3. Floppy, so I don't think anything is wrong with that.

The PXE messages mean that it is trying to boot off the network.

(we use a PXE server at work)

Some bioses will try that after all the other boot options have failed.

Since your disk can be seen (but not booted from), your boot sector might be corrupt.

The PXE messages mean that it is trying to boot off the network.

(we use a PXE server at work)

Some bioses will try that after all the other boot options have failed.

Since your disk can be seen (but not booted from), your boot sector might be corrupt.

Well, I just configured it to only boot local devices, loaded the BIOS's default settings, and I've already entered recovery mode and run the "fixboot" command. Now, the only error I get is

DISK BOOTFAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

:o

Note: This is the same hard drive that I was having problems with in this thread, although it is back in its original machine, and that problem was never solved.

tiny bump.

After running a bunch of tests, I think something is wrong with the MBR. It seems that running fixmbr in Windows recovery mode did nothing, and GRUB couldn't repair it either. Suggestions?