If you could only use...

Consoles released from 1999 and back to create a console of your own which ones would you use? Like a merging of technology and specs so to speak to make the best console possible for 2D/2F gaming of all types. You can only select three total home consoles, nothing more.

I bet everyone is going to select the Dreamcast first.

Dreamcast for it's SH4 horsepower, coupled with SNES/N64 cartridge based media for custom DSPs etc on cart (Optical media killed innovation, I don't care what anyone says) and the Playstation DS controller (Dreamcast controller is one of the worst controllers I've ever used).

Dreamcast + SNES + PS1 = Sweet!

First and foremost, I'd definitely use the TurboGrafx16's game card size (physical size that is). They were hella small and they were also the same cards used for the TurboExpress handheld (a sexy mo-fo if ever there was one!). No 'gotta buy this system for this game but that system for that one'. Same games , cross-platform. Perfection.

Next, I'd go with the PSX or DC internals just for the sake of being able to have the best graphics and processing possibilities up to the date you mentioned. NeoGeo had great graphics but overall I'd go with the PSX more than likely. Personal preference.

I'd go with the Playstation's controller since it is still the best damn design ever.

If I was looking for the best blister generator, I'd go with a classic NES or Intellivision controller.

The DC controller is probably the coolest, but isn't near as comfy to use.

I'd go with the Dreamcast's case cuz it was just very gorgeous IMO. The N64 runs a strong 2nd.

Dreamcast memory cards just because they were more fun and flashy -_-

I'd throw in an Intellivision Voice module for voice synthesis cuz NOTHING is sweeter than hearing the computers voice on space spartans.

Lastly I'd throw in a 'High Speed Digital Data Pack' reader/recorder from my Coleco/Adam computer, cuz saving game info to a cassette tape kicks the hell out of any other medium when you wanna be true old school!

Neo-Geo/Neo-Geo CD(z) - I love this system, the 2d animations are top-notch, the library is good, and the collector value is insane.

Dreamcast - I'd pick this bad boy over any current gen system (I own two). The library was amazing (Soul Caliber, Powerstone, Sonic Adventure, Rez, Ikaruga, Shenmue, etc), the graphics are fantastic, the sound system was damned good, a variety of interesting peripherals (maracas!), and it is so homebrew friendly.

Sega Genesis - The controller was one of the best ever imo, the games for this system are almost unbeatable (Sonic 1-3, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic & Knuckles, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, Golden Axe, Road Rash, Mutant League Footbal, etc), the graphics are quite good, and it just ate up so much of my youth :(