does anyone still own a saturn.

The Saturn port of SOTN was crap IIRC. The new areas were ghey and didn't fit the tone of the rest of the game.

Was it actually an improvement in any technical ways?

i know its been said that the psx version was better and it did come out first,but with the extra levels and the character selection from the start,i always felt the saturn version edged it.then again the psx version did have better lighting effects and slightly better graphics than the saturn version,but they both hold up well.

I do, I've had one for a good 5 years now, modded it pretty much right away.

I can see why it failed though, besides a small handful of mainly 1st party games, the only games worth playing are arcade port fighters, if you're into them.

I like Radiant Silvergun, but I'm not much into shmups. The Panzer Dragoon games make me go "WTF" when people talk about them like they are so awesome, I think they blow. I also think NiGHTS sucks @$$ too. I really think Sega fans are just looking to give themselves a reason for owning a Saturn, when there isn't much of one.

Don't think I'm being negative here though, I own a good 13 games and I enjoy most of them, and the system is quite capable for it's time..........just most games were pathetic, most 3rd party devs didn't (see: couldn't) take advantage of the hardware.

Oh and Blacknight, the Saturn version of SOTN is indeed inferior in technical aspects to the Playstation version, but the addition of those levels, remixed music from original Castlevania games and costumes etc make it worth the play. As far as I'm concerned, no Castlevania fan should be without EITHER version.

Word, but I didn't grab the sat version of SOTN since I could never find it. Panzer is a great game and could be a turn off to some folks. NiGHTS however, was just a brilliant game. Very fun.

Also note that I am a big N fan compared to Sega (I considered their things a little subpar until I tired it personally).

I don't want to ruin my Sat by modding it. It's pretty much boxed up now also, getting occasional play out of it.

I can see why it failed though, besides a small handful of mainly 1st party games, the only games worth playing are arcade port fighters, if you're into them.

Not to mention that the hardware was complex therefore expensive and hard to develop for, and in most cases didn't offer the 3D performance of the playstation (it did fare better in 2D though because of quadrilateral polygon rendering.) Oh yeah, and pissing off big retailers with their early exclusive retailer release didn't help matters either, THEN ditching it after a few years to go with the dreamcast... they pissed a lot of people off...

Sadly, I'm getting a feeling of deja vu...

Edited by Reaper man