Vista Pirates watch out!

Robert

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant speak performance wise as i dont know much about hardware and how much it consumes. But as to the feel of it, it is something new and even though you can change the look to look like xp i keep it as vista. However their is one bug that bugs the hell out of me and it really pisses me off. When ever i open up to many tabs (ex. open 5 tabs, then close them, open 5, then close them and so on) the tabs stop working, and i cant right click any where. The only thing i can do is close the IE and restart in which the problem would go away. This never happened to my laptop. :)

Curiousity has gotten the better of me. I'm d/ling Vista directly from Microsoft now. My friend kindly donated his reg key from his legit copy that he never used. I'm not as worried about the OS itself as much as will it be able to use the array of software I usually use, some of which dates back to the '40s. I'll report back in an hour or 6 when I've give it a run through.

Curiousity has gotten the better of me. I'm d/ling Vista directly from Microsoft now. My friend kindly donated his reg key from his legit copy that he never used. I'm not as worried about the OS itself as much as will it be able to use the array of software I usually use, some of which dates back to the '40s. I'll report back in an hour or 6 when I've give it a run through.

Directly from Microsoft? :)

Directly from Microsoft? :)

Yeah, the links are the same ones given to you if you were to purchase it online. There's the main Vista file plus 2 smaller ones. Total is around 2.3gigs. It's all the Vistas in 1 d/l, there's a choice of which version you want to install.

EDIT : Just tried it out and everything works! Only minor problem is that I'm using around 400MB more RAM than I was with XP. I have 1 gig on this PC though so it's manageable.

PS - Which firewall are people using? I've been using Outpost for 4/5 years but even the latest version isn't compatible. Any suggestions?

Edited by gavin19

I'm happy with XP. No need for a change. "If it isn't broke, then don't fix it"

This is true. I must have gone through a dozen different Linux distros, all for no other reason than to try out a different desktop or package manager etc etc.

As far as Windows goes, I use a lot of older software simply because it is less bloated and does the same job give or take a few bells and whistles.

Yet looking back, I didn't do one single thing on XP that I couldn't do on 2000 but I felt like a change. 5 years of XP isn't a bad stretch, and Vista does everything that I want it to so far. I'm happy with it.

Ironically, the night before last, when I decided to upgrade to Vista, I downloaded LinuxMint, an Irish-origin Ubuntu-based distro. No doubt if Vista starts acting up I'll have that iso burnt and booted before I can say DRM.

I'm happy with XP. No need for a change. "If it isn't broke, then don't fix it"

If everyone thought like this, Then we would still be useing stuff from the 60's.

All I can say is that Vista works fine, If people are not keen on the so called blaoted stuff then use Vista home basic.

I like most versions of windows I had used

Win 3.11 was good

Win 95 was good

Win 98 was good

Win ME was a POS

Win 2000 was good

Win XP was great

Win Vista is great :)