Remember Windows 95

2eyez

I remember running Windows 95 on my family's Acer... playing games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen, Epic Pinball, Rattler Race, and Hover... good times... too bad the Acer's hard drive died :D

holy crap! I remember my father's computer was an Acer with similar games! Hey, did your PC come with that Are You Afraid of the Dark adventure game? What about Tyrian? mmm, Tyrian...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, windows 95 seemed pretty good back then.

I started with a 300mhz pc, upgraded to 333mhz then 500mhz.

I had 80 gigs of hard drive space on it, and it ran all my dos-type games pretty well. Such as Doom 1 and 2, Duke Nukem 3d, and a lot of those spins-offs of Wolfenstein-3d. MAME was ok but neogeo games only ran at 20fps and some 3d games at about 1 fps.

This computer was the first one I had a CD burner on, with Roxio 5. What a revolution that was to a music collector as myself!

I liked the compatibility with dos games, and it booted up and shut down in seconds. Unlike todays super-dooper pc which can take a while.

It was useless with USB though, I just couldn't get that to work.

Overall though, I think Windows 98SE was far superior.

I had 80 gigs of hard drive space on it, and it ran all my dos-type games pretty well. Such as Doom 1 and 2, Duke Nukem 3d, and a lot of those spins-offs of Wolfenstein-3d. MAME was ok but neogeo games only ran at 20fps and some 3d games at about 1 fps.

You sure you have 80GB? or is it 80MB? :P

I had a 40gb drive split between a 8gig partitiion and a 32gig partitions.

And, for a while I had another 40gig drive. The computer blew up not long afterward though.

I had the latest service pack because the original windows 95 couldn't handle more than 4gigs.

the first computer i ever owned was a Dell, i think a Dimension (and was even called the XPS if i remember right! I think it was something like Dimension XPS166S)

166MHz Pentium

32MB RAM

33.6k Modem

5GB HDD (I think, Dell did some weird partitioning thing with the hard drive where one was around 3GB and one was around 2GB but both of them came empty minus windows)

Matrox something video card

We kept that computer for an insanely long time, it was rediculous how outdated it became and we still had it, probably close to 10 years before upgrading to a Gateway 2.2GHz Celeron, crap built in video card and 256MB of RAM with a 40GB HDD

but the computer im using now is awesome (I finally grew an e-male organ):

Core 2 Duo e6850 3.0GHz @ 3.6GHz

2GB PC2-8500 Crucial Ballistix Tracer @ 1244MHz 5-5-5-15

ATi Radeon X1950PRO 512MB

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Mobo

Probably the only "real" computer ive ever owned minus the dell back in its day, when we upgraded to 56K and played Mechwarrior 2 on it everyone on the block was like ZOMG!!!

I remember i had Win95 as my first computer as well. All i did was play all those games Mooney Mentioned and Doom. Those were the only kind of games my computer could support. But it was hella fast. I flocked it up tho =\

So we upgraded to Win98. Now my computer was hella slow. I used to just download Music and use Paint all the time. So i dont really miss my Win95/98.

I remember running Windows 95 on my family's Acer... playing games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen, Epic Pinball, Rattler Race, and Hover... good times... too bad the Acer's hard drive died :(

holy crap! I remember my father's computer was an Acer with similar games! Hey, did your PC come with that Are You Afraid of the Dark adventure game? What about Tyrian? mmm, Tyrian...

ohmygawd YES! :P How could I forget about Tyrian! And Are You Afraid of the Dark gave me nightmares!

I remember running Windows 95 on my family's Acer... playing games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen, Epic Pinball, Rattler Race, and Hover... good times... too bad the Acer's hard drive died :(

ohmygawd YES! :blink: How could I forget about Tyrian! And Are You Afraid of the Dark gave me nightmares!

hahaha that's fucking awesome! Are You Afraid of the Dark.... yeah that game was some scary, creepy shit in it, but it was still a fun game none the less, and the game making your heart race to try an figure out how to kill the "bosses" was an absolute rush.

and who can fucking forget tyrian!? It was by far, hands down one of the best PC sh'mups ever. Anyone who disagrees with me can die slowly in a fire :o