Computer crashed

Robert

I happened to reboot this morning and the registry got corrupted. Couldn't start in Safe Mode or even go to command prompt. Blue screen of death.

So, I had to reinstall Windows and lost all my settings. IE works but some fonts are huge. All my saved passwords are gone and I don't remember most of them. Lost all my Zonealarm settings. Lost my registration key for website watcher so I can't post any more news. Had to reinstall Office and I was lucky to be able to retrieve my email. Most things are broken in one way or another.

So, sorry guys, no emulation news for the forseable future.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happened to reboot this morning and the registry got corrupted. Couldn't start in Safe Mode or even go to command prompt. Blue screen of death.

So, I had to reinstall Windows and lost all my settings. IE works but some fonts are huge. All my saved passwords are gone and I don't remember most of them. Lost all my Zonealarm settings. Lost my registration key for website watcher so I can't post any more news. Had to reinstall Office and I was lucky to be able to retrieve my email. Most things are broken in one way or another.

So, sorry guys, no emulation news for the forseable future.

Good luck with that Rob. I foolishly tried to merge a couple of partitions on my drive earlier just out of boredom and lost all my mame stuff :punk: Im posting this from my Nokia E65 cause it looks like I'm going to need a fresh XP install too.

you can probably find a key for website watcher without too much trouble....

as for emu news, you could forward any discoveries to Mooney.

Also, this is why I keep 2 or 3 passwords... easier to remember

hopefully you'll get everything back to normal, besides Windows PCs can benefit from an occasional clean install anyway ;p

Edited by Reaper man

After the install there was trouble and in an effort to narrow it down I turned off one service too many. So, had to do another install.

After that I noticed a program called ssms.exe was running and it wanted to access the internet. I checked it out and it is a trojan. Fortunately it wasn't too hard to get rid of it.

(boot to safe mode, delete smss.exe, remove 4 entries from the registry, empty out the TEMP folder, and move tftp.exe out of the path)

Then I found the IE problem, the install puts IE5 in but it's full of bugs. Upgraded to IE6 which fixed the forum issues.

mIRC connects to efnet but not much else, msoffice works, email works, msn is totally broken, website watcher is still unregistered and won't start.

The virus scanner had to be reinstalled but unable to update to the latest dats, mcafee is totally hopeless with support and so is their website. I will need to grab a later version from work tomorrow.

After that I noticed a program called ssms.exe was running and it wanted to access the internet. I checked it out and it is a trojan. Fortunately it wasn't too hard to get rid of it.

(boot to safe mode, delete smss.exe, remove 4 entries from the registry, empty out the TEMP folder, and move tftp.exe out of the path)

uuuum how did you come to the conclusion that it was a trojan, when 9 times out of 10 it's a valid windows process? I hope you did some extra research just in case, because you might have probably deleted something vital

Windows errors related to smss.exe ?

smss.exe is a process which is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is called the Session Manager Subsystem and is responsible for handling sessions on your system. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: smss.exe is a process which is registered as a trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

Determining whether smss.exe is a virus or a legitimate Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from. Check that smss.exe is stable on your computer.

Recommendation for smss.exe:

smss.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly. It is highly recommended to Run a Free Performance Scan to automatically optimize memory, CPU and Internet settings.

Determining whether smss.exe is a virus or a legitimate Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from. Click to Scan your PC including smss.exe to Detect any Security Threat.

Fix smss.exe Errors: Free Scan

Boost Performance: Free Scan

Security Risk (0-5): 0

Spyware: No ( Free Spyware Scan )

Virus: No ( Remove svchost.exe )

Trojan: No ( Remove svchost.exe )

Author: Microsoft Corp.

Part Of: Microsoft Windows Operating System

Memory Usage: N/A ( Free Up Memory )

System Process: Yes

Background Process: Yes

Uses Network: No

Hardware Related: No

Common smss.exe Errors: N/A ( Click to Repair )

first result from google...

NOW, that doesn't mean that it's 100% safe, some virii/worms hid themselves by using the same name at these legit system processes to confuse the user... if you deleted smss from system32 chances are you deleted something legit. If anywhere else, how the flock did you get a trojan so flocking quickly?! >.>