New Computer Specs

Mooney

So I think I've finally chosen all the parts I'll be needing for my new PC! :) But I still have do decide on an OS... So here are my specs: (Note: If you are not 1337, just read each line to the : )

- XION II XON-103 Black SECC Steel: ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 450W Power Supply ~$65

- ECS KA3 MVP (V1.0A): AMD Socket AM2, ATI CrossFire Radeon XPRESS 3200, ATX Motherboard ~$125

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+: 2.2GHz, 2x512KB L2 Cache, Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor ~$183

- POWERCOLOR X1600 PRO: 512MB GDDR2, PCI Express x16, CrossFire Ready Video Card ~$127

- AMPO 1GB DDR2 SDRAM: 240-Pin, 533Mhz (PC2 4200) System Memory ~$100

- Western Digital Caviar SE16: 250GB, 7200 RPM, 16MB Cache, SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ~$78

- COOLMAX CT-550 SILVER: ATX, 550W Power Supply, 100~120Vac/200~240Vac ~$54 (Combo w/HD)

- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE: 7.1 Channels, 24-bit, 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card ~$28

- SAMSUNG Black: 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner ~$31

Total ~$791 -_-

Please tell me if you notice anything that will not work/ is know to be bad. And I'm not too sure about the Coolmax power supply, because the case comes with its own, but I've heard it is really bad and burns out quickly. :unsure: Also, which is the best Windows OS? XP Home, XP Pro, or XP Media Center Ed.? :huh:

Oh, and Newegg is god! :D

Edited by Mooney

Pro. Nuff said. Imma upgrade next spring. Just in time for the new DX10 cards. Early adopting because it's the latest tech ftw?

I like Xp pro. If you use nlite, you can strip out all the unnecessary components, and make a really small windows that uses less resources.

The computer sounds good, I can't wait to get a dual core, but i'll probably wait another year or so. My 3.2 ghz P4 is still holding up pretty good, and I haven't even overclocked it yet.

nice, theres probably no area you could really even improve on that much

good job getting the Audigy and not the X-Fi, What creative doesnt want you to know is they are the SAME card, one of them just gives you a firewire port and the other one gives you something else (USB 2.0?) and tahts the only difference, besides the X-Fi costing more

I would stick with XP for now, especially if you play games

I myself am extremley stubborn and im running Windows 2000 Pro + SP4, its stable and uses less memory than XP and does everything from XP that i use, but i realize there are alot of tweaks for XP now to make it faster

good job getting the Audigy and not the X-Fi, What creative doesnt want you to know is they are the SAME card, one of them just gives you a firewire port and the other one gives you something else (USB 2.0?) and tahts the only difference, besides the X-Fi costing more

There is actually more of a difference. It's just Creative has taken a back seat on the drivers for the more one package for all. But underneath the specs are similar, but very much different. Like how some people think if they use XFI drivers on the old ZS cards they claim theres an improvment in sound and less processing. The shietty softmod does NOTHING to improve upon the old cards. They have similar processing chips, but are different on another scale. But we all know in the computing world, similar does not mean the same.