Windows XP sp 2

Mooney

Yes, though I'm not sure if XP Home offers DEP.

Check under System > Advanced and see if theres a "Data Execution Prevention" tab there.

DEP is supposed to disallow non binary data execution, but given the ammount of scripted stuff (Even in some games, especially ones using Java engines.......Chrome comes to mind) it's more of a hinderance than anything, especially when you don't have a CPU with hardware DEP.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, though I'm not sure if XP Home offers DEP.

Check under System > Advanced and see if theres a "Data Execution Prevention" tab there.

DEP is supposed to disallow non binary data execution, but given the ammount of scripted stuff (Even in some games, especially ones using Java engines.......Chrome comes to mind) it's more of a hinderance than anything, especially when you don't have a CPU with hardware DEP.

It was never a problem for me until I upgraded my mother board and CPU .

I had to turn off DEP because it would cause problems just by opening a folder with video files in it .

For peoples info http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

Your router most likely has a firewall option, pretty much any hardware firewall is better than any software firewall

If your lucky enough to have a WRT54G/WRT54GS flash it with DD-WRT, the firewall is excellent, thats all i use unless you count peerguardian as a firewall (technically it is, but whatever)

CRAP! SUCK! Well that failed... :clapping::clapping:

After I told Automatic Updates to install sp2, and after it was done installing, it restarted my pc. At this point, I thought all was well. But then, instead of bootig normally, a screen pops up and tells me Windows failed to boot. :clapping: I choose "Start Windows normally," but that does nothing; it just goes back to the same screen. When I started in safe mode, it gave me the option to use System Restore. I took that offer, since I had created a System Restore Point right before I installed sp2. The Restore worked, so I am now sitting happily at my sp1 computer, and I don't plan to try again until I absolutely must. :clapping:

So my final advice: If you are going to try to install sp2, either back up your hard drive or use System Restore. It could save your pc. :blink:

CRAP! SUCK! Well that failed... :clapping:  :clapping:

After I told Automatic Updates to install sp2, and after it was done installing, it restarted my pc. At this point, I thought all was well. But then, instead of bootig normally, a screen pops up and tells me Windows failed to boot.  :clapping:  I choose "Start Windows normally," but that does nothing; it just goes back to the same screen. When I started in safe mode, it gave me the option to use System Restore. I took that offer, since I had created a System Restore Point right before I installed sp2. The Restore worked, so I am now sitting happily at my sp1 computer, and I don't plan to try again until I absolutely must. :clapping:

So my final advice: If you are going to try to install sp2, either back up your hard drive or use System Restore. It could save your pc. :blink:

This is exactly what I was afraid of.