The Wii Zapper (Proto)

zapperprototypewii31vc.jpg

Over at the Nintendo booth, contained within a glass case adjacent to the classic shell (revealed earlier by IGN) is a prototype for the "Zapper Style" attachment for the Wii remote. Note that you get a joystick for your thumb and a standard gun-style trigger. Not much to say, but the prototype looks promising. We wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being really close to the final product.

Joystiq

I wonder if this will work like a light gun or use the nintendo new technology.

I just don't know if the Wii technology can yell the games where the gun is pointed, or if it just tracks the movement of the device.

That's cool IMO

although they oughta make the bottom part a little thinner so that kids can play

...wait, maybe not :(

"How d'ya learn t'shoot like that little man?"

"Playin' Wii!"

:blink: That is... SO COOL! :D I'm actually considering getting a Wii instead of a PS3... There would be no doubt in my mind, but then Sony went and removed the rumble feature from the PS3 controller... :( and then they named it the "Dualshake" :D

Fanboy.

I think this shell looks like crap. Hopefully they do a redesign and make it look.. zappier?

I just don't know if the Wii technology can yell the games where the gun is pointed, or if it just tracks the movement of the device.

I'm pretty sure, from the mario demo thing they showed at the E3 press event, that the console can figure out where the controller is pointing to somehow. That would be vital for a lot of game concepts that might use the wii controller.

And I think it looks pretty sweet. It looks good because it implies a lot of fun to be had with it, not because "OMG I want to impress strangers with my cool video game accessory."

I'm pretty sure, from the mario demo thing they showed at the E3 press event, that the console can figure out where the controller is pointing to somehow. That would be vital for a lot of game concepts that might use the wii controller.

And I think it looks pretty sweet. It looks good because it implies a lot of fun to be had with it, not because "OMG I want to impress strangers with my cool video game accessory."

Yes, the Wii's controller does have a gyroscope, just like the PS3 will be tilt-sensitive, so it can tell where you are pointing it. So there will be no using it as a dildo, or it will see this and report you. No lie. :(

And, it has light gun capabilities built in to the controller itself.

Edited by Mooney

If the Zapper is using gyroscope, than it can't tell where the player is pointing on the screen with it. The gyroscope can only detect it's own movement. In theory, you can calibrate the gyroscope to the location of the screen, but that will be a pain in the ass!!! If the Wii technology is similar to the PS3 technology, than to sudden moves will take the gyroscope out of balance(that's why they removed the rumble in PS3), and you will have to go thru a long calibration very frequently.

If the Zapper uses the lightgun technology, than there are other problems. I made a post about it in gamedev. Here is a quote that explains my opinion on the lightgun technology:

The problem in combining lightguns in FPS games - and I don't mean games like house of the dead and silent scope - is related to the lightgun technology. When you press the trigger on your lightgun, the screen flashes in white, and the tragets flashes in other colors. The lightgun has a sensor that can detect the color the lightgun is pointed on, and if it is a target color, it is counted as a hit.

The problem with this is that a lightgun can only detect if a certain area on the screen in targeted or not, not the excat pixel. Theoretically, if you make a sensitive enough lightgun you can assign different color for each pixel, but at such high levels of sensitivity, every tiny dust spot on the screen will change the color and confuse the results, not to mention different screens and the current amount of light in the room - people will have to make a long reconfiguration every hour!!!

If the Revolution controller implements a new technology that can detect the targeted pixel - or a small square on the screen - than it will be possible. Ofcourse, since it is a new technology it should no longer be called "lightgun"