The Expensive PS3 Thread

BlackKnight

Sony fanboys would still buy it. Regardless of price.

I mean christ, who paid a full 600 bucks Canadian for the PS2 when it came out. Yeah, I know I did, 5 years later I've gone thru several ps2s, some of which weren't even mine. OH THEN MY MAIN PS2 DECIDED TO GIVE ME A BIG F U TO ME.

Sony fanboys would still buy it. Regardless of price.

I mean christ, who paid a full 600 bucks Canadian for the PS2 when it came out. Yeah, I know I did, 5 years later I've gone thru several ps2s, some of which weren't even mine. OH THEN MY MAIN PS2 DECIDED TO GIVE ME A BIG  F U TO ME.

Man, are these problems common? I've heard them before... But I'm still on my original PS2. The only problem I had with it, was a couple of years ago. The screen next to the fan got clogged with dust and the PS2 overheated after awhile. I took it off and it's been working perfectly ever since.

I had two problems with my PS2, both being that the DVD drive version was outdated. Sony fixed them free of charge. I never had any of the problems that most people seem to have.

As for the PS3, might as well just upgrade your computer.

Edited by Dooz

Man, are these problems common?  I've heard them before...  But I'm still on my original PS2.  The only problem I had with it, was a couple of years ago.  The screen next to the fan got clogged with dust and the PS2 overheated after awhile.  I took it off and it's been working perfectly ever since.

I had two problems with my PS2, both being that the DVD drive version was outdated. Sony fixed them free of charge. I never had any of the problems that most people seem to have.

DRE is a common. Sony fixes that (and all the other problems) for free only if your system is still unter warrenty. I've had 3 PS2s, one was the main, my launch PS2, that died in 2004. One day it just wouldn't turn on. It costs more to get it fixed then to buy a new one if your system is out of warrenty(read: 250 canadians dollars plus shipping and handeling), also my the warrenty for that one was voided, mine was perfectly modded for the past 3 years before it decided to crap out on me. The other two vanilla PS2s can't read PS2 disks. Acts of god or poor quality control? Your choice.

Also, FYI if people still don't know, Sony is trying to make Spring as it's launch. I for one, don't see it happening with all these problems srrounding it.

Unless Sony has been secretly producing PS3s in an underground bunker, I don't see a feasible spring launch.

But damn, $900 to produce, wow. I think XBOX 360 was closer to $600 and Microsoft can afford to lose that money unlike Sony. I'm very curious as to how much the PS3 is going to cost. I'm not certainly not going to get one anywhere near launch time so I don't have to worry about saving up for it.

Yes, but, don't you guys remember my topic on sony working with microsoft? If that's true then I wouldn't be to worried about this.

That reports says they might work together to make games which is completely different than gaming systems. Sony and Microsoft have a lot at stake in trying to win the greatest market share so I doubt they'll collaborate on that. Especially Sony since they are big in every media industry. Even though Microsoft doesn't not own any movie studios or music (I don't think they do), they would very much like to be a middle man in providing that kind of content to people through an entertainment hub which is what the XBOX 360 is trying to be. I expect the next XBOX to be an even more generalized entertainment machine. That is what Sony seems to be trying to do with PS3 which is why they are willing to risk a lot right now.

Say the PS3 costs $900 to manufacture, and the 360 only $600, what noticable difference in quality is there going to be? And if not much, then what do you think Sony's marketing angle for such an expensive item is going to be?

It'll be another supercomputer capable of launching nuclear devices? ;) But seriously, the inclusion of a Bluray drive is critical to Sony's business plan and future so that will be a huge marketing angle. If they win the next format wars then it will be greatly advantageous to them.

If the machine is really more than $500, I think Sony is making a big mistake. Will people really pay that much? The PS3 will have to offer a hell of a lot to warrant that kind of price, something that regular folks (as in people not like us) can see the value in and go "Wow, I really need that."

In the gaming area, they seem to have very popular exclusive franchises so that'll definitely be a plus, however, I see them losing some. Square is on XBOX even though it's just FFXI. It could be more in the future. Kojima says he wants to make separate games for each platform so he'll do more than just PS now. Capcom is probably going to be on all platforms. Rockstar ports their stuff anyway so not a huge advantage there. Their inhouse studios produce good stuff like Ico, Shadow of the Collosus, God of War, Guitar Hero (Harmonix is owned by Sony, right?) but I think one certain Microsoft inhouse studio's game will outsell any of those especially in the West. :)

Damn, what a long post for basically saying that it's too early to tell what will happen. Sony will probably maintain their lead but lose it in the West, perhaps even significantly. There is no place but up for Microsoft in the West but not so in the East.