God of War vs. Devil May Cry...

BlackKnight

Which game is better?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You know that game, God of War? The one that won all the GOTY awards?

I picked this up the other day because it was cheap. I figured it'd be a short action game, that'd keep me occupied for a few days. Sure enough, it did. On top of that though, I was blown away by its art direction, cohesive plot, production value and OST. Boss fights were few but fantastic. Fighting the Hydra in the first 5 mins of the game really sold me on it completely. The fact that I'm fairly interested in, but also liberal with the mythological setting notwithstanding, combined with my 3 consecutive play throughs prepared me to say 'yep, this really is the game of the year.' Best thing on the Ps2 since sliced bread. Challenging too- finishing God Mode (particularly the second to last trial) was extremely difficult. I thought.

Now I've played Devil May Cry. I've even played DMC2. After doing so my impression of the series is a trashy, ill thought out series of levels smashing things with the occassional, equally trashy, boss. Basically the whole game was a vehicle for the cool combat system, with puzzles and other features just tacked on. And I'll give DMC one thing- I found it hard. But that's it. And so what? GoW was hard too. I havn't played DMC3, but they say that's the hardest game ever... but again so what? GoW is hard enough, and from what I gather my other gripes with the franchise havn't been rectified either (the whole ugly setting / bad layout / monotonous and uninteresting story progression...).

The argument that surrounds which of these games is better comes down to GoW being all pretty, but shallow and DMC being less concerned with anything but the insane fighting. In otherwords DMC is for the hardcore, GoW for everyone else. Why a game with no competitive aspect whatsoever needs to for the 'hardcore' though is beyond me. I mean Castlevania - Rondo of Blood was ridiculously difficult and I loved that, but it really was everything that a game could be back in the day. DMC putting everything else on hold just to have hectic fighting is fine, but then you can't really say something like that is better than GoW which has EVERYthing, but just with the difficulty turned down a notch, can you?

So I want to know what you all think- what makes a better overall game? Should a single aspect (such as the fighting mechanic) be able to define a game as being good or bad or does the sum of the parts really need to be considered? And basically, do you think GoW or DMC is a better game?

I ask this because I'm tossing up getting DMC3 when the special edition comes out here, and don't know if I'll even want to play through it after playing GoW. And also because asking this on GameFAQs etc. rapidly degenerates into a Kratos vs. Dante fanboy flame war.

Edited by DragonKeeper

I just grabbed God of War today, and let me tell you that it's worth all the good reviews. Nothing like executing creatures from the greek mythologies with style.

and more moves than you can shake a severed Medusa head at.

Need to make reviews of God of War and Soul Calibur III