Compiling

I decided to try compiling mame (command-line version) yesterday.

To my surprise it compiled cleanly first go (although it took all night).

Next, I would like to try mame32. The instructions say to copy some htmlhelp files, but none came with any of the files/archives I downloaded. Any ideas?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really do need a faster machine if you are going to compile. Old pc's are just not good enough for mame and to compile with.

Anyway you only need the UI folder to be put in the src folder

Then use the command "make WINUI=1 SUFFIX=32"

or "make WINUI=1 I686=1 SUFFIX=32"

I did a google search, which led me to an article in a forum. The article dealt with my issue exactly. It turns out that Microsoft have prevented the distribution of the htmlhelp libraries since version 0.97 of mame32. However microsoft have the files available for download on their own website for free.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....lpDownloads.asp

I've placed the files in what should be the right place, and I'll start a compile just before I go to bed. Hopefully it works out (crosses fingers).

I have compiled mame for years and the htmlhelp files are not needed to make a mame32 build. From what I know another command is used to make the htmlhelp file. Which is not the same command as the Mame32 command.

Why do you ignore me robbert ?

I have compiled mame for years and the htmlhelp files are not needed to make a mame32 build. From what I know another command is used to make the htmlhelp file. Which is not the same command as the Mame32 command.
I got the files - just in case I want to make use of them one day.

Not really. I checked that the iu folder was in the src folder (it is); and I checked your options against what's in my batch file (they agreed). I therefore feel as confident as a noob can be.

The compile is under way, up to Compiling src/drivers/volfied.c

If an error occurred, does it get written to a log?

Does it cause the compile to stop - or does it carry on?

That's ok then. It would be bad if the error msg simply scrolled away and disappeared.

If this works, I might look at perhaps learning a little about the language used (I assume it's c++ or similar). Maybe some modifications might get done one day.

no? then why is it that whenever I updated MingW I always have to go find the header and the lib in order so that there won't be a compile error with mame32? Yes, a compile error for not having those files; but I still don't make the mame32.chtm file

Strange those help files are old. and have not been updated in a long time

I have updated mingw many times and never had a problem I have had the same help files in my mingw for over a year now

As you can see below they are old.

July was the time I had formatted my hard drive.

lib5jp.jpg

include7xo.jpg