3D Projection in Nintendo Revolution?

Gryph

http://cube.ign.com/articles/607/607437p1.html

At the core of the theory sits how Revolution will display games: through a form of real-time 3D projection. That's right folks, along the lines of a classic 50s monster movie. Nintendo itself has stated that what it plans to use on Revolution isn't all that unique, only that it has never been applied to videogames. Taking that into account, plus recent patents filed by Nintendo, and it doesn't sound all that far fetched, argues Burgess.

If that's not enough, he goes on. During the ShoWest film conference, a panel featuring George Lucus, Robert Zemekis, James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, and a satellite feed from Peter Jackson discuss their plans to integrate cheap digital stereoscopic 3D into major theater chains by 2007. Here's where things get interesting: Burgess claims to know an agent who spoke to Robert Rodriguez, stating they knew of a game machine that would exploit this new wave of 3D entertainment well before Hollywood could jump in on the market.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt it. Not if reading the IGN article is proof of anything.

If they were testing a 3D projection system on the cube, then they've got it down solid for the next console.

And gyroscopic controllers? Can we say REAL analog control over your games? In a true 3D manner? Think of the possibilities with games like Rogue Squadron etc, real freespace control in an environment designed for it.

In theory sounds like a good idea but i mean can you actually have a full screen of 3d and look good, i never saw a full screen of 3d in movies only parts and thats because they make you want to get the full effect of it, also would the entire game be in 3d or only certain parts cause if only parts thats lame.

and i bet you might need some dang headacke causing eyegogles to make it work sound a bit hard to market if that is this rumor is true.

A holographic projector now thats something they should look into

Edited by Aoshi

I don't understand how he ties together Nintndo and George Lucas. Those are two completely different things that the writer tied together to make an article that has literally no grounds to even be remotely true.

That's like saying that because Nintendo is developing new features for the Revolution, and Ben & Jerry's is making an all-new ice cream flavor, the Revolution will taste like ice cream.

This would also imply that the Nintendo machine is a standalone item right? Like obviously no TV will be needed... I don't want to have to shell out heaps for a projector.

If you were required to buy a projector for this feature, it'd be a proprietary one from Nintendo. I doubt that though, this would be something built into the console itself. And I would hope you could hook it up to your TV as well.