Corperate America Wins Again

Wizard

Prison For Pre-Release Pirates:

Here you go, a new bill approved yesterday calls for 3 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for anyone with a copyrighted movie in a shared folder…whether it was distributed or not. A bill calling for 10 years in prison for leaving the DVD out of the case where others could see it failed to get the required votes needed to pass. O.K. I made that last one up…but we are headed there.

The bill, approved by Congress on Tuesday, is written so broadly it could make a federal felon of anyone who has even one copy of a film, software program or music file in a shared folder and should have known the copyrighted work had not been commercially released. Stiff fines of up to $250,000 can also be levied. Penalties would apply regardless of whether any downloading took place.

- HardOCP.com

You yankees keep getting fscked every time.

And here I go with my usual annoyed comment about stuff like this.

If you directors actually took the time to make the movie good, maybe people will be less inclined to download the movie because they know by paying for it, they wont be ripped off.

lucky canadians :spam2:

I would still share my music. I don't care about no god damn law against it if I lived in the U.S. Yes I know it's alot of money, yes I know I'd do some jail time. But hell. If I ever get bust, i'd hide my harddrives under anything invisable.

Hey man, Canada isn't immune either. Some nuts there are trying to impose a 25% tariff on iTunes.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/...1&tid=98&tid=17

No one cares about Canada. Leave it be.