PSP or nintendo DS

which would you prefer?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On the subject of price, the PSP costs 250$ here. As much as a console, but lacking the power of a console, in favor of portability. The games are 50$ (perhaps), the standard price of a game.

The DS is 150$. 100 dollars cheaper. The games are 30-40$. 40 being for the really high-end games. GBA games are usually 30 or less.

Thus, whether or not portable products should be less expensive than console products, we've gotten used to it. And I'd like it to stay that way.

OK, but your still stretching the facts to make your point. Most of the PSP games are $40, not $50... the same price as many of the DS games. BTW, take a look at list of DS games and you will find that there are a few $50 games. For years people have been paying $20 - $30 for what were in reality tiny GB/GBA games. We are talking about games that amount to 1-4 MB ROMS in most cases. Sorry, but I just don't see the gripe with game prices when the GB games have been a bigger rip off for many years... and save me the bargain bin BS, K'dash. The same will apply to PSP games after it has been out for a while.

Also (not addressing you specifically), you people keep acting like all the games are exact ports of PS2 games. WTF?? That's not the case at all. I'm getting two games on launch day... Twisted Metal: Head On and Wipeout Pure. Both come from a series of games that has been on consoles, but neither is port. No more so than the new Metroid DS game is a port of the Cube Metroid games. Also, you people talking about why would you buy a game on the PSP when you could get a the same game on the PS2 are making no sense AT ALL. You would buy a game, ANY GAME, for the PSP for the exact same damn reason you would buy a game on any portable... because you want to play the given game in a portable form... port or not has exactly nothing to do with it. You are criticizing the PSP for being capable of games nearly as good as their console counterparts while the DS gets off for free because it can't. Makes no sense at all :D

Edited by Thraxen

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of price, the PSP costs 250$ here. As much as a console, but lacking the power of a console, in favor of portability. The games are 50$ (perhaps), the standard price of a game.

The DS is 150$. 100 dollars cheaper. The games are 30-40$. 40 being for the really high-end games. GBA games are usually 30 or less.

Thus, whether or not portable products should be less expensive than console products, we've gotten used to it. And I'd like it to stay that way.

OK, but your still stretching the facts to make your point. Most of the PSP games are $40, not $50... the same price as many of the DS games. BTW, take a look at list of DS games and you will find that there are a few $50 games. For years people have been paying $20 - $30 for what were in reality tiny GB/GBA games. We are talking about games that amount to 1-4 MB ROMS in most cases. Sorry, but I just don't see the gripe with game prices when the GB games have been a bigger rip off for many years... and save me the bargain bin BS, K'dash. The same will apply to PSP games after it has been out for a while.

Also (not addressing you specifically), you people keep acting like all the games are exact ports of PS2 games. WTF?? That's not the case at all. I'm getting two games on launch day... Twisted Metal: Head On and Wipeout Pure. Both come from a series of games that has been on consoles, but neither is port. No more so than the new Metroid DS game is a port of the Cube Metroid games. Also, you people talking about why would you buy a game on the PSP when you could get a the same game on the PS2 are making no sense AT ALL. You would buy a game, ANY GAME, for the PSP for the exact same damn reason you would buy a game on any portable... because you want to play the given game in a portable form... port or not has exactly nothing to do with it. You are criticizing the PSP for being capable of games nearly as good as their console counterparts while the DS gets off for free because it can't. Makes no sense at all :D

Nobodies being biased. DS gets hammered by everyone on the forums because of the lack of quality games. The problem with psp is that 95% of the games are unoriginal and ports. Take a look at Gretzky's hockey, THPS2, NFL Street, Tiger Woods, and the whole lot. There isn't one game that stands out among the rest...and you know what? I doubt that this trend will change.

You know what's even stupidier? Not only are the games expensive but if you wanted to play..say Untold Legends with 4 players, then you would need 4 copies of the disc. 4x49.99 to play with your friends...where as the ps2 you just need the system and 4 controllers, and the multitap if you want to get technical.

You know what's even stupidier? Not only are the games expensive but if you wanted to play..say Untold Legends with 4 players, then you would need 4 copies of the disc. 4x49.99 to play with your friends...where as the ps2 you just need the system and 4 controllers, and the multitap if you want to get technical.

And? It's a portable system, it doesn't have controller ports. Guess what, you also need 4 systems whereas on the PS2 you would just need one. You just don't seem to even understand the portable market.

This is not something that is exclusive to the PSP by any means. Most GB multiplayer games have worked this way for years. I'm sure they could make the game load wirelessly into the other PSPs and I bet some games will work that way.... but just how fast do you think wireless B is? If it's a game that requires a fair amount of regular loading then there is going to be massive load times involved with sending the information to 3 other systems. Oh yeah, and this would only work with 4 PSPs in the same room, forget about internet play. You would be waiting hours for a level to load.

Again, I just hear more arguments that make no logical sense whatsoever.

P.S. Untold Legends is a $40 game, not $50.

They should really make a MultiTap for the PSP.

Somebody might be able to make some sort of link cable to load games, but I doubt it would do all that well. Link cables have never been very popular items on any system. Sure, a few people here and there make regular use of them, but most do not. And somehow I can't really see most of the PSP's target audience being that types that are going to huddle around in a circle with with PSPs and a link cable. You would wind up with a bunch of non-technically savvy people complaining and wondering why they can't do the same thing over a wireless connection.

Edited by Thraxen

well I broke down and ordered one. hopefully they ship it today or tomarrow for some psp love on monday!

the bundle I got comes with twisted metal and darkstalkers. 350 usd shipped next day air. I'll prolly pick up dynasty warriors or wipeout. one thing I have noticed is the jap standard pack has gone down to around 200 USD on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WD1V guy has zero feedback though......

the only reason I didn't get an import at that price is cuz of the warrenty issues. looks like the DS is getting passed down to the kids. heh

well I broke down and ordered one. hopefully they ship it today or tomarrow for some psp love on monday!

the bundle I got comes with twisted metal and darkstalkers. 350 usd shipped next day air. I'll prolly pick up dynasty warriors or wipeout. one thing I have noticed is the jap standard pack has gone down to around 200 USD on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WD1V guy has zero feedback though......

the only reason I didn't get an import at that price is cuz of the warrenty issues. looks like the DS is getting passed down to the kids. heh

good for u man, hope u have fun with ur PSP...i envy u, for i think this product is one hell of a machine. let us know how it goes :peopleseybrow:

yeah, the white one looks so much better but it'll be even better if it's silver

smart people would not get the PSP right now, no matter how much they luv it, cuz ur just wasting time and money, so i'll just wait for it and get it for a low low price