What CPU to get..?

hisokano1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as I am concerned A TV only refreshes at like 28 fps. anything over that is fine. If I could get 50 fps in HL2 I'd be turning cartwheels.

TVs refresh every 29.333 FPS @ 60Hz. Vsync is terrible, it doesn't actually matter if it's on or off now a days, improvements on fps is determind like that. Vsync is permently off on my computer and everything looks the same and no FPS drops at all unless the game is really system and graphics intensive (HL2! BAH! Try Desert Combat, that thing will rape any computer unprepared).

ok so lets say anything over 30fps is tv quality.

good enough for me.

I don't need my games running at 100fps

60fps seems to be the standard for most video games anyways. which makes me ask, what good is a console game running at 60 fps when the tv it is played on will only show every other frame?

Hmmmm... A question for the ages.

and yes I know we are talking pc here, just wondering out loud...

Television sets can be shown any number of FPS, console games now are now at a 60FPS cap, televison shows and movies are roughly 29.333 FPS because thats the NTSC standard (PAL standard is 23.339 FPS @ 50Hz), they are all running on the standard line for MOST programming. TVs can support more then 60 FPS but like I said before, anything higher then 60 is practically useless and a waste of processing, espeically on consoles.

sorry new to here so dunno the rules :P

ah ok so 2 x 512 ddr400 it is hehe.. thx dude. awesome help

and just regarding ram.. watz this low latency stuff on ram? how do i tell which ones r which? im looking to get kingston ddr400s.

Here is a good little article on RAM latency that should explain it better than I can: http://www.memorysuppliers.com/caslatwhatis1.html

I don't know how much of a performance boost it is to have lower latency RAM but the most important thing about it is that it should be stable in your motherboard. Some low latency RAM can cause stability problems in motherboards. But most motherboards should be fine and the one I recommended should be perfect because it's a hardcore mobo.

And about V-sync, I actually turned it on for Doom 3 because I was experiencing screen tearing.