What CPU to get..?

hisokano1

hey pplz, looking to upgrade my comp n need some help as to what cpu and mb and ram is good etc.

im still deciding b/w a p4 and the amd.. im currently using an athlon but i think p4's r much quieter and cooler?

and im confused with the p4 478pin 775pin and amd 462pin 754pin and 939pin... whatz the diffrence?? someone care to explain plz :P

ive been checking out some prices for rams too. was looking at the ddr400 and the ddr333. how come the ddr333 is more expensive than the ddr400??? ddr400 is better right?

sorry for my n00biness hehe :(:naughty:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go for AMD because they perform better. And the CPU makes no noise, it's the fans.

First question that I ask, how much are you willing to spend?

Second question, what kind of games and programs do you plan on running?

And DDR400 is better than DDR333. Where are you seeing those prices?

AMD has some good tech that makes the CPU fans quiet, less load, auto underclock to save energy.

I'd go for AMD because they perform better. And the CPU makes no noise, it's the fans.

First question that I ask, how much are you willing to spend?

Second question, what kind of games and programs do you plan on running?

And DDR400 is better than DDR333. Where are you seeing those prices?

well spending can vary from AU$500-800

my comp atm:-

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+

MB: Gigabyte 7NF-RZ

Video card: GF6600 (got it recently but not really that good.. should've got the 6600GT.. stupid computer sales guy said 6600 should be sufficient for gaming.. but when i run HL2 and CS:S on it only getting around 40-50fps.. kinda fustrating! :P )

RAM: 2 x 256 DDR333 Kingston

so really im looking to only change the MB and CPU and prob add another 512 of ram too. if i have 3 ram slots on MB can i have the 2 x 512 DDR333 and 1x 512 DDR400???

and games i run is as i said b4 HL2 and CS:S. and also farcry mayb WOW later on when i get it :)

programs would be like macromedia studio and photoshop and stuff.

regarding the ram prices i just saw it in local comp shop. they have various brands but the generic ones the ddr333 for some reason is more exp than ddr400 :naughty: no idea.. :(

Do you plan on buying online or from a retail shop? You'll probably get a better price online but I don't know of any stores that ship to Austrailia. Ok, I just did some conversions. You're willing to spend 396.052 - 633.683 USD.

- Here is the mobo I recommend: MSI nForce4 Ultra (939) K8N Neo4 Platinum (139.00 USD)

- Here is the CPU: AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3500+ 512KB (264.99 USD) The higher the better but you also need money for atleast 1 gb of DDR400 RAM.

2x512 mb shouldn't cost you more than $200. Actually, it'll be quite less depending on brand. Most benchmarks show there isn't a huge difference.

But yeah, you got screwed that 6600. It's such a sham, the GT basically doubles performance in all games.

No one needs any higher then 60 fps for FPS games, it's really useless. Anything higher and your just wasting small amounts of ram and processing with the game just redrawing everything faster and faster.

Do you plan on buying online or from a retail shop? You'll probably get a better price online but I don't know of any stores that ship to Austrailia. Ok, I just did some conversions. You're willing to spend 396.052 - 633.683 USD.

- Here is the mobo I recommend: MSI nForce4 Ultra (939) K8N Neo4 Platinum (139.00 USD)

- Here is the CPU: AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3500+ 512KB (264.99 USD) The higher the better but you also need money for atleast 1 gb of DDR400 RAM.

2x512 mb shouldn't cost you more than $200. Actually, it'll be quite less depending on brand. Most benchmarks show there isn't a huge difference.

But yeah, you got screwed that 6600. It's such a sham, the GT basically doubles performance in all games.

Thx! u guys r the best! :P

im probably gonna get it from shop.

still regarding the ram? can i use 2x512 ddr333 AND 1x512 ddr400 in the 3 slots on MB? not sure if itz ok to use a mixture of rams..

yeh GT would been heaps better! and only slightly more exp.!! man..

oh well hopefully vid cards will drop in price soon so i can upgrade again :D

No one needs any higher then 60 fps for FPS games, it's really useless. Anything higher and your just wasting small amounts of ram and processing with the game just redrawing everything faster and faster.

yeh well if itz constant 60fps would be good with vsync on.

but im getting about 30-40fps with vsync on. and anything from 30-50 with it off. very unstable..