Arcade machine and MAME

alexis

I'm waiting for The New Yankee Workshop to do a show on arcade cab building.  <_<

Is that a TV channel? I'm really lost when it comes to american channels, although I know the major ones.

Or then it's a magazine.

it's a tv show on PBS (public television) this dude makes funiture like they used to in the 1800's

Lots of sites show how to make one, I actually planned to make one, but it's on hold for a while.

MDF is what I would use for the sides, just don't keep it in a damp invironment, HAPP controls and stuff if you want to wire it yourself.

http://www.webbpickersgill.com/mame/default.asp

I've always heard its good to measure twice and cut once :rolleyes:

what i dont get, assuming you do it from scratch.... do they usually just stick a common pc inside loaded with the emulators & roms or do they have special boards/pc's designed for playing emulated games that they put in the cab?

If they just put a pc into it, i assume you coud do an auto start to play on what ever emulator you want, right?

And if you do it from scratch what kind of monitor do you use?

Edit: we should do a cost analysis of what this thing would cost, building it from scratch, since this topic has started I have not stopped thinking on building one of these.....

Edited by PLasticSlug

all the ones I have seen have a pc loaded up with roms in em, and they usually have a mouse stashed in em somewhere. as far as cost goes it would depend on the pc and moniter. if you already have a pc you could dedicate to this then it would be really cheap. just the price of wood and controls. last time I checked a sheet of plywood was around 8 bucks and I figure you'd need 3 sheets.

3x sheets plywood 24.00

controls 50.00 CHECK THIS OUT

extras (screws, wire, hinges) 30.00 (estimated. might be more if you want lights, a markee, t-molding ect. but that stuff could be added later.

so we are talking a bit over 100 dollars to get started if you have a pc and monitor for the project. if not then I'd say a 400 dollar pc would do the trick for mame and FBA. the main cost would come from a decent sized monitor. someone here has an xbox with emulators in his mame cab. that would bring the cost down since a 20 inch tv is alot cheaper then a 20 inch monitor.

This is so awesome, imagine someone opening an arcade up with a bunch of mame machines. That would own.

That would also be highly illegal. You shouldn't profit from emulation.

It's been done.

One machine at this former arcade I know did it. Pretty funny when your game BSOD's on you.

Some authors even charge their emulators, against the baic idea of emulation if you ask me, but I also understand the other side;

they feel that they should be compensated for the amount of time and work they've invested in this program of theirs.

Still, I don't really root for shareware emulators.