HDD Reformatting

Shibathedog

Ok so i added this second 80GB HDD to my PC that i bought used. I put it in my PC and it says its 27GB, but on the giant sticker thing on the actual HDD it clearly says 80.0GB, So i think hmm must be partitioned or something, so i try a format F: (thats what the letter for the drive is) and it still says only 27GB. Is there a way to completley erase it so i can get all 80GBs out of it?

(thanks alot! and BTW my full time return to the forums is soon :P so much freakin work around here >_< )

Where does it only show 27 gb? In Windows? If that's so then only 27 gb worth might be partitioned and set up. Go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management. Check to see if it says 80 gb there and if only 27 gb of it partitioned.

In the BIOS what does it show as?

Hi Shibathedog

Like the rest said post a pic, if your motherboard doesn't support it try look for a bios update if it is still supported.

But from what you posted if its the second 80 harddrive you have installed it should work. Only other alternative is to try the harddrive on another computer to see if it's recognised at 80 gig

I already tried the HDD in another PC.

See this HDD was in my friends old Dell PC and what they where doing was giving everyone 80GB HDDs and then just allowing you to use a certain amount of the space to save money and only have to order 1 kind of HDD (or at least thats my theory)

Anyway, in my friends Dell it was 27GB too

My master HDD is like 45GB on this PC, and my Slave HDD (This one) is supposed to be 80GB I have the latest BIOS but even the stock BIOS was supposed to support 180GB HDDs and the new one like 250 or something like that.

You want me to post a picture of the window that gryph said to go into?

my 60 gb hard drive was saying the same thing, something like 15 gb or somthing... any way i just reformatted it and it went back to 60,

or you going to install windows on both hd's or you going to make it a slave, if your going to make it a slave just checks your pins and you can reformat it real easy through windows... right click on drive and format it there.