An open challenge for coders

besides, we don't flame anyone here and we're proud to have one of the friendlier videogame forums on the web.

There are wonderful exceptions to that over here. :P

P.S. Open question: i once heard the rumor (never verified) that, in secret, ElSemi and Razoola are actually the same person. B) any truth to that?

ElSemi: http://www.emu-celebs.consollection.com/in...ub=4&idPerso=32

Razoola: http://www.emu-celebs.consollection.com/in...ub=3&idPerso=64

Edited by GryphonKlaw

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Xeon, El Semi didn't make Nebula open-source I assume mostly so that it isn't abused by rom-kiddiez wanting to play all the newest games. I don't think he'd be too pissed at someone writing a plug-in, though.

im not talking to you to begin with, im referring to Dooz's comments and thats not the point im trying to put across either. if hes really into stopping rom-kiddiez then he couldve completely changed the driver system to begin with (and making it like Kawaks where you cant really do anything by default).

the thing is that its his personal decision to make Nebula non open-source to begin with, nobody can totally assume why or what really gives (remember that people that actually bought the games have their own rights to it as well) but besides that, its just that he can pretty much take care of the program by himself anyway.

the proposal youve made is, quite frankly, too feeble of a novelty when compared to...say, the X-Men mod. you just want plain neatness, the X-Men mod changes the way you play COTA dramatically. when you just look at it carefully, its not even that important to when compared to...say fixing raster bugs that the emulation may have. you never know, maybe hes not replying to your mails because he probably knew this already, or maybe it just happens on YOUR end.

and like what James said, graphic filters and patches are NOT true emulation. in my eyes, its just more beautiful, but it doesnt change my opinion on which is the better emulator.

i hope i didnt made that reply bloated, im sleepy... <_<

Edited by Xeon

The big question is, odes anyone here know how to code these "plugins" and, does Elsemi feel ok about someone else doing his work?

For the latter question, I think he's not ok with it.

I say, who cares? The guy didn't make the emulator well enough, now someone is gonna fix it for him.

not true. ElSemi did NOT made Nebula open-source for a reason. maybe you just dont like Nebula but that doesnt mean its bullpoo.

I never said it was bullpoo. Anything can be made better, and if someone can make it better, why not?

well , i dont know if its true but we may get the sources to ZINC when it goes final....that would maybe satisfy your appetite for dank 3d arcde games...and maybe i could see it running on a 733MHz machine we all know so well....

Because thats not emulation is and hacking an emulator is wrong

How is that not emulation? Is emulation not getting a program on your computer to run like another system would?

As for hacking emulators, that's really up to your own code of morals. Personally, if I made an emulator, and someone hacked it to make it better, I'd congratulate them. Next time I'll just have to make a better one the first time.

There's nothing wrong with correcting other people's mistakes. It's just that people let their pride get in the way (And I do belive that is the situation).

You just dont get it. If you had code your own program You would not be saying stuff like that.It takes many hours to create program and code for it I find Nebula pretty good as it is

People make these programs for free and it does give you the right. to complain or hack it Just because there is something you do not like about it

Come back when you have coded a new emulator so then we can complain and hack it.because we do not like what you have created.

Edited by James

I have no problem with emulator hacking, if:

1) The whole project has been inactive for quite some time

2) The emulator is still used by a number of people, despite of 1)

3) The emulator if missing "important" code that should be in there without question, but the developers never got around to make the changes.

Take EGCG NeoRAGEx for example. This "hack"has made NeoRAGEx ´by adding features that the original version lacked.

I agree thought that hacking emulators that are still in development (and closed source) just to get more games working or to make more image filters available and such isn't the way to go.