Nintendo DS with wireless hub capability?

Gryph

We already know that Nintendo DS will have wireless capabilities but rumors are floating around that each DS will have hub capabilities so anyone with a DS can connect to another person with a DS. 802.11 devices require a hub to communicate between devices. However if a DS can function as both a DS and a repeater hub, that problem will be solved.

Also, it's said that Nintendo will unveal some major feature of the DS soon. Since they weren't at TGS, all the spotlight will be on the DS when they do this. This could be a revolutionary multiplayer technology.

You can check out these two sites for more info:

http://www.gamecubicle.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3035 (Some interesting pics here)

http://www.engadget.com/entry/4182100443364188/

Ofcourse, this could all be complete BS.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

It's not old news, it was on Slashdot today. And VE3D. And all those articles are from today. It's new to me...and the people at Slashdot and VE3D. Oh well, I must be hallucinating again.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

It's not old news, it was on Slashdot today. And VE3D. And all those articles are from today. It's new to me...and the people at Slashdot and VE3D. Oh well, I must be hallucinating again.

You must be getting my headaches and glass of milk from my mysterious fridge.

so ru saying that a DS can connect to a wireless router and go online to play cuz that would be new that if it's not then that's old news

so ru saying that a DS can connect to a wireless router and go online to play cuz that would be new that if it's not then that's old news

No, the rumors are that the DS IS a wireless hub.

I quote Andy Burnes, manager of Voodoo Extreme: "Games need servers as well as connections. This removes that need, and allows everyone to connect to one another. Theoretically you could have people placed in a line around the globe, and they would all be able to play together, no matter the distance between one another."

Old news or not, Nintendo is pulling all the stops to compete with the PSP. Multiplayer action... I suppose that's good news.

i for one seriously doubt that any of the 'surprise features' of the DS will be at all revolutionary. Why? Price. adding hub capabilities would only make the DS more expensive to produce (not counting the already relatively high price of touch-screen technology, etc). Nintendo cannot simply afford gigantic losses on each hardware sale. Remember that Sony undercuts its prices drastically (even when they sold for $300 US sony made a loss on every ps2 it sold) because sales from its other product lines counterbalance the losses until software sales balance it out. The PSP will work the same way - if it sells for $149 sony is losing money but will swipe the market share, making its software sales more lucrative to earn back the money.

Because Nintendo is not nearly as large or as (in recent years) financially successful, i think the hub will be no-go. just look at the Gamecube network adapter.... not promising.

i should have studied accounting... :(:D

psssh

Gamecube = LANN0R DEVICE!

Anyways, prices of the PSP in Japan is about 249.99 USD, 50 dollars less then the recommended price. DS could save the way by hitting at least the 199 mark.

i dunno, the PSP looks much more badass and is impressing me alot more at this point in time. That goldeneye for DS is going to be the thing that rips the fanboy out of me and forces me to buy DS though ;)

from what ive been reading, it looks like the PSP could emulate the DS hehe, so its like whats the point?