bit torrent question

Inky

I have a weird bitorrent problem that is driving me insane and I could really used some help.  In the past week or so, whenever I try and run my bittorrent app (ABC) it cuts my internet connection down to a crawl.  The bitorrent doesn't get any speed (not suprising since its bitorrent) but it also cuts my browser and anything else I try and run down to nothing.  I can't even check my email while its running.

Anyone seen this slowdown problem before and know what to do about it?

EDIT: I tried it in azureus as well.  Same deal, pretty much kills my internet connection.  Maybe its something with the port or something?  I just can't figure out what would cause it to affect my connection this way.

ABC (and torrent stuff in general) is a pretty big resource hog, especially when it first starts up. It's going to depend on how many files your DLing at once and how big they are, more than anything else. When you start or resume a file, it has to check what you already have of it, which is the worst time for your system resources, especially if the file is large. Once that's done, it's mostly a matter of how many files you have DLing. While I can usually handle upwards of 10 in most P2P programs, I had to cut it down to 3 with ABC, and then things ran mostly ok. I still had considerable slowdown starting up new applications, and transfer rates from websites were really slow even when ABC wasn't really moving a lot, but I could manage. This was on a 2.8GHz P4 w/512MB Ram.

Hope that means something to ya. :P

I'm hving 8 items in ABC now with 6 active and my comp work fine...

But yeah, the hash check is a bit of a pain, but I'm glad you don't have to wait for that when you're seeding.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the hash check andis abc better than azereus?

A hash check occurs when the BT client goes through the partially downloaded file(s) to see if there are any errors. A hash defines the files, order, size etc. that are in the torrent.

Azureus and ABC are equally good. It's just a matter of taste