bit torrent question

Inky

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should definitely leave torrents open once you've finished downloading it as you seed it to other users. At least leave it open long enough so that the UL/DL ratio is 100% or more.

If you always close torrents once their done, the torrents die quicker since people don't get the full file anymore.

Remember, more seeders = better.

Edited by Agozer

i have a question about this, u know how when u download something with bit torrent, u download the bit torrent and then ur program start to download the file u wanted. well do i need the bit torrent file or do i need the file i'm downloading to let others to download stuff from me?

p.s. sry about this cuz i know it sound confusing

k..another question...on the site that im dwonlading the file from..i see over 100 of people downloading and uploading....shouldn't that make the speed go faster..and also if im behind a firewall.does thatslow down my dl speed?..

bc i had the network connection on firewall.but i just recently turned it off...

turn it on or off..spee better or not better...??

Firewall connections indeed to slow down speeds.

Theoritcally it shoudl go fast, but if theres problems with the track, the relay data gets sent slower, but it still downloads.

Uhh, yes firewalls slow down bt.

another bittorrent quesiton..does the dl and upload speed depend on what type of torrent program i use?.for ex..i currently use. bittorent.regularone..but i saw othe programs like bitorando and azereus..?

i just dl'ed azereus and that program is way better than the original bittorrent..although azeuresu is flluctuatint in download speed wise..its 2 ,3 x faster than bittorrent..

Edited by Jjangthekid

I use ABC. My max download speed (on any site) is around 60kbps. ABC gives me a max of 30kbps (15kbps on average) which I am very satisfied with.

I use ABC and my max speed off good sites is roughly 125kB/s. ABC gives 110kB/s at best.

Well, it really depends on the upload speed of the seeders and other leechers.

Edited by Agozer

I have a weird bitorrent problem that is driving me insane and I could really used some help.  In the past week or so, whenever I try and run my bittorrent app (ABC) it cuts my internet connection down to a crawl.  The bitorrent doesn't get any speed (not suprising since its bitorrent) but it also cuts my browser and anything else I try and run down to nothing.  I can't even check my email while its running.

Anyone seen this slowdown problem before and know what to do about it?

EDIT: I tried it in azureus as well.  Same deal, pretty much kills my internet connection.  Maybe its something with the port or something?  I just can't figure out what would cause it to affect my connection this way.

ABC (and torrent stuff in general) is a pretty big resource hog, especially when it first starts up. It's going to depend on how many files your DLing at once and how big they are, more than anything else. When you start or resume a file, it has to check what you already have of it, which is the worst time for your system resources, especially if the file is large. Once that's done, it's mostly a matter of how many files you have DLing. While I can usually handle upwards of 10 in most P2P programs, I had to cut it down to 3 with ABC, and then things ran mostly ok. I still had considerable slowdown starting up new applications, and transfer rates from websites were really slow even when ABC wasn't really moving a lot, but I could manage. This was on a 2.8GHz P4 w/512MB Ram.

Hope that means something to ya. :P