what is up with my system speed

-VIOLENCE-

Alright, first thing you should do is get the latest BIOS here: http://www.asus.com/support/download/item....266-VM&Type=All

That's would be the first file on the list (A7N266-VM BIOS 1007) and scroll down a bit and get aflash221.zip. Then scroll down some more and get chipset-win2kxp103u.zip.

Check the manual out to see if it gives intructions on how to flash the bios. I'm downloading the manual now to see if it has anything about multiplier jumper settings.

EDIT: Ok, go to page 19 of the manual. What processor do you have and what speed is your RAM? You know...I think the jumper settings might already be correct but there is no harm in trying. ;)

EDIT #2: Go to page 35 of the manual to read how to upgrade your bios. After you upgrade the bios, then install the chipset-win2kxp103u.zip once you get into Windows again.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

What processor do you have and what speed is your RAM? You know...I think the jumper settings might already be correct but there is no harm in trying.  ;)

:blink::blink:

first of all, wow thanks babe you're tops!

umm yeah to answer your questions.

My processor is... AMD Processor "Certificate Of authenticity and three-year limited warranty" "This certificate is your assurance that the microprocessor you have obtained is a product of advanced micro devices, INC...

OH shi* thats what AMD stands for?? :lol::lol:

hmm.. okay that didn't help, stupid ass little book... Let me try to find the BOX that it came in with... :rolleyes:

"AMD" 2200+ Extreme performance for WINDOWS XP"

umm the price tag has all this information on it and shi* "GOOD OLD FRY'S ELECTRONICS"

ACDA/AxP 220

AXDA/AXP 2200 BOX THOROU

ATHLON 226MHz fsb 256K

cas 1.75V 1800.13u w/

fan 3y WTY;THOROUGHBRED

~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

now the RAM is

KVR266X64C2/512

MEMORY UPGRADE MODULE

Description

512 MB 266MHz PC2100 DIM CL2

ASSY IN USA

100% tested lifetime warranty.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~~

alrighty i hope thats what stuff you're lookin for :)

Edited by -VIOLENCE-

Ok...you're processor has a 266 mhz front side bus (don't concern yourself with the terminology) so I'll assume your RAM runs at the same speed. Ok, go to page 19 of your manual (which is CPU:DRAM Frequency settings) and look at the different configurations. Since your processor is 266 FSB, the CPU and DRAM jumper settings should both be at 133 mhz.

Actually this isn't multiplier jumpers but I couldn't find any mention of it in the manual. Just make sure those are ok. So open your PC and locate where those jumpers are with the use of the map and just place the jumpers in the proper places (which is the bottom right setting and I'm assuming they should be already be there since its default). This probably won't do anything but just check anyway.

Also, go into your BIOS (press Del when the first stuff shows up on your screen) and check those out. Read pages 49-52 in your manual. The CPU speed should be 1800 mhz, if not then you can manually change it.

Uhh...do that and let's see what happens. I'll be back tomorrow to check on your progress. Don't be overwhelmed, it's not at tough as it seems.

EDIT: Alright, I just saw your edit. Your RAM is also running at 266 mhz so the setting should be at 133 mhz.

EDIT #2: I couldn't find anything in the manual that says how to change the voltage so that sucks.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Ok...you're processor has a 266 mhz front side bus (don't concern yourself with the terminology) so I'll assume your RAM runs at the same speed. Ok, go to page 19 of your manual (which is CPU:DRAM Frequency settings) and look at the different configurations. Since your processor is 266 FSB, the CPU and DRAM jumper settings should both be at 133 mhz.

Actually this isn't multiplier jumpers but I couldn't find any mention of it in the manual. Just make sure those are ok. So open your PC and locate where those jumpers are with the use of the map and just place the jumpers in the proper places (which is the bottom right setting and I'm assuming they should be already be there since its default). This probably won't do anything but just check anyway.

Also, go into your BIOS (press Del when the first stuff shows up on your screen) and check those out. Read pages 49-52 in your manual. The CPU speed should be 1800 mhz, if not then you can manually change it.

Uhh...do that and let's see what happens. I'll be back tomorrow to check on your progress. Don't be overwhelmed, it's not at tough as it seems.

EDIT: Alright, I just saw your edit. Your RAM is also running at 266 mhz so the setting should be at 133 mhz.

EDIT #2: I couldn't find anything in the manual that says how to change the voltage so that sucks.

lol, okay i'll do this later...

I'm afraid i'll breaksomthing ;)

- merci beaucoup

Make sure you discharge your hands before you touch crap in your computer. I rub my hands in aluminum foil and that does the trick. You don't want to shock anything (I don't think it happens that often but its still a hazard).

okay with that biosupdate program that i need to put inside a FLOPPY DISK and install it through the MS-DOS is hella confusing they make this shi* very hard :D;);)

okay i read the readme file and it says

A:\: type AFLASH

---> then type 2 and press <ENTER>

and then update, BOOTBLOCK or somthing like that. so anyways this is what happened when i tried to follow these directions that are totally wrong! the writer hella left somthing out.

okay anywayz when i loaded the program from the DOS this is what the screen showed

ASUS APCI Flash memory updater

Flashmemory: SST49LF020

Current BIODS version

ASUS A7N266-VM

APCI BIOS REV: 1006

BIOS Model: A7N266VM

Bios Build Date: 04/09/03 "hella old"

[1] Save current bios to disk

[2] Update bios with BOOT BLOCK ESCD

sooo according to the "readme file" it tells me to press [2] and press enter

"so the screen goes black and loads this other screen"

and it's asking me to "please enter the file name for new bios"

so i'm like :blink: okay... so i typed a random name like "MOLKO" and then it sait it's wrong or somthing and then i get linked back to the main menu screen...

whats up with this file name for new bios??

- merci :D