Building a new computer soon

Iori Yagami

Well I don't know much about building computers, but I know somebody who does.

My computer, while old, does everything I want it to do except emulate well.

It can barely run GBA games at playable speed, PSX emulation bring my computer to a crawl, and let's not get into DC emulation.

Basically what kind of computer should I get so I can run DC games at a good speed?

what's the most important in terms of good emulation speed?

also, I know a getting it as a laptop would cost quite a bit more, but just for the sake of knowing, how much more would it cost if I decided to build a laptop.

Edited by Iori Yagami

To run a Chankast your processor must support SSE which are the Pentiums 3 and beyond and the Athlon XP and beyond. The faster processor the better and the better video card the better.

How much are you willing to spend?

AMD XP 2800+ or AMD 64 3000+ / Pentium 4 2.1 GHz or better

512 RAM or more

My guess list for chankast :\

Edited by K`dash

$2000

Oh damn, you can get a VERY nice desktop computer for that price. Do you plan on buying a monitor or just using the one you have? Because with $2000 you can pretty much get top of the line everything.

$2000

Oh damn, you can get a VERY nice desktop computer for that price. Do you plan on buying a monitor or just using the one you have? Because with $2000 you can pretty much get top of the line everything.

I will be getting a new printer (my old one is ****) and a new monitor.

eh, I don't need top of the line everything, I don't plan to buy the newest PC games(I've never played a PC exculsive game in my life, ever), I just need something that will be able to emulate GBA, DC, and N64. I also need a good DVD/CD burner for...erm... "backing up" Xbox and PS2 games.

Edited by Iori Yagami

$2000

I will be getting a new printer (my old one is ****) and a new monitor.

eh, I don't need top of the line everything, I don't plan to buy the newest PC games(I've never played a PC exculsive game in my life, ever), I just need something that will be able to emulate GBA, DC, and N64. I also need a good DVD/CD burner for...erm... "backing up" Xbox and PS2 games.

Whuat! So sorry to hear that, you're missing out. :D PC exclusives are teh pwn. :)

But with $2000 you can still get a very nice mid range computer with monitor and printer. But why do Dreamcast emulation when you can buy a DC for extremely cheap and get the games for free? Anti aliasing and anisoptoric filtering aren't really that important for Dreamcast games. But when I get home I'll be able to make a list.

But why do Dreamcast emulation when you can buy a DC for extremely cheap and get the games for free?

I'm currently learning to program games in C++ and Java.

I'm hoping in about 2 years to make my own street fighter game.

I want to have a computer that will be able to emulate at full speed:

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike

Street Fighter EX2 Plus

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival

So I can study the mechanics of the fighting systems and make the system of my game as authentic as possible.