Need help in picking a vid card for my pc

Prican25

did you look into the bfg 6800 oc, that thing looks spiffy.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a 6800 is a top of the line card right now, 9800 Pros and FX cards are last generation, thus cheaper, but they can put out as much as the new gen cards could, if you own a 9800 Pro or a 5900 Ultra, saying you got them at launch, they will last at least 3 generations. Take alook at the GeForce 2, lasted right into the 6800 Generation, thats 4 generations of video cards it lasted and the Radeon 8500 also. Although these cards can't put out what they used to 5 years ago, they are practically the bare requirement for games.

8500 Pro or a GeForce 4 MX440(Which is GeForce 2 core clocked higher).

A bottleneck is something that slows something down which would normally run properly without said bottleneck.

so bottle neck is like buying the best of teh best video card that costs like 1000$ for your hella slow 900mhz computer?

is taht BOTTLENECK? :blink:

Yes, that is a perfect example of a bottleneck.

what do you think is a good video card for a athlon xp 2200 without bottlenecking it.

or.. maybe bottle neck it a little, bottlenecking doesn't hurt that bad does it?? :lol:

like taking small sips of poison and shi* :(

what do you think is a good video card for a athlon xp 2200 without bottlenecking it.

or.. maybe bottle neck it a little, bottlenecking doesn't hurt that bad does it?? :lol:

For the Athlon XP series, anything from a Radeon 9800 or GeForce 5900 down would be great. The only thing higher than those are the absolute latest generation (GeForce 6800 and Radeon X800) and it's not really worth it since you wouldn't get maximum performance from it. And they are hella expensive.

For the Athlon XP series, anything from a Radeon 9800 or GeForce 5900 down would be great. The only thing higher than those are the absolute latest generation (GeForce 6800 and Radeon X800) and it's not really worth it since you wouldn't get maximum performance from it. And they are hella expensive.

what would happen if i get it anyways, like some dude came out of no where and was like...

psst, yo kiddo you want this stolen video card?

me: :( sure...

how would the new games like doom 3 and stuff run on it?

Well it certainly wouldn't make anything worse. It's just that the card wouldn't be able to work at its full potential. There is no harm in getting the absolute best but its just not practical. But if its free and you don't take it, then you're an idiot. :lol:

Well it certainly wouldn't make anything worse. It's just that the card wouldn't be able to work at its full potential. There is no harm in getting the absolute best but its just not practical. But if its free and you don't take it, then you're an idiot. :(

haha okay, so if some random dude gave you that card would you put it in your system? or wait umm let me say that again...

if you had an athlon 2200 and someone gave you that card for free, would it be wise to put that in or sell it and get a more suitable card. :lol:

Well it certainly wouldn't make anything worse. It's just that the card wouldn't be able to work at its full potential. There is no harm in getting the absolute best but its just not practical. But if its free and you don't take it, then you're an idiot. :(

haha okay, so if some random dude gave you that card would you put it in your system? or wait umm let me say that again...

if you had an athlon 2200 and someone gave you that card for free, would it be wise to put that in or sell it and get a more suitable card. :lol:

Well it all depends if I think I will upgrade my CPU anytime soon. If I'm not going to upgrade within 6-10 months I would sell the card, get a 2nd best generation card and pocket the rest of the cash to spend on other more important things or save up for the next generation video card and processor. If you use a Radeon X800 (or GF6800) instead of an Radeon 9800 (or GF5900) with that processor you might see a modest speed increase but definitely not worth the money you could get by selling it and buying a lesser card. Also, if you are thinking of buying a video card from the last generation, go with the ATIs because they won that round.

Not to mention cheap and uses less power.

But nVidia is slowly winning me back, the only thing thats holding me back is price tag.