So, what P2P program should i try next?

Dynamo

I think ive taken the proper logical steps as far as P2P programs go: I started with Kazaa (and quikly changed to K-Lite) which is my main source for music and videos,eMule which is good for finding ISOS (especially for old systems like Sega CD and Turbo Duo) and other rare stuff, and BT which equals if not bests the aforementioned programs in all the aforementioned areas. Thing is that my needs are expanding (game OSTS,more games/ISOS which neither of the aforementioned programs have,etc) and im looking to try the so-called next logical step in P2P programs IMO,DC and IRC. Ive shyed away from these type of programs after hearing about their complexity and having a minimum amount of stuff to share (i dont think i have 5 GB worth of stuff to share ;) ). But now that i have the free time and patience, im willing to be schooled (or linked to info) about these complex P2P programs and ask: are they truly better than the P2P programs i have already?

Well, for endless amounts of VGM, get DC++ and log on to vgmcentral.no-ip.com

1)You only need to share one official VGM album. Properly numbered. No gamerips allowed, unless a certain game never had an official OST release.

2) You need to put the text VGM in your description.

I'm there, so that place has to be good. ;)

"Mommy wow! I'm a big kid now!" ;)

DC++ isn't tough to use at all. The only thing different about it is that you have to share a certain amount.

Here's a guide I wrote in another thread:

- Install it. (Get it from http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net)

- Open it.

- Go to File -> Settings if the setup screen doesn't automatically come up.

- In General, type in a username, choose your connection type, and if you know your IP and are not behind a router choose Active and put your IP in the space provided. Description and email isn't necessary.

- Then you should see Sharing on the left side of the screen, go to it. Add folders till you share atleast 5 gigs of stuff which includes atleast 100 mbs of ROMs and/or ISOs. And then on the same screen, look down a bit and allow 5 upload slots.

- Close the settings window.

- You should see the left most button which is a monitor with wire coming out of it. Click it. It will take you to the connect to hub screen. Look where it says Manual Connect Address. In there you type the hub name you wish to join (you shouldn't join more than 5 hubs otherwise crap can get slow).

Here are some good hubs:

emu.servegame.com

hub.barnitos.net

classicsega.homeunix.com

romsterhub.ath.cx

devious.sytles.net

The last two hubs aren't as big as the top three but they are still good.

- If you can get into a hub but when you try to download something and it doesn't work, go back to the settings screen and change the connection type from Active to Passive.

Hope that helps.

-------------------------

For IRC things are a bit different and complex. But thanks to www.packetnews.com and sites like that, it takes away a lot of the difficulty. Just type in the file name you want and it will search through the IRC networks and show you the results. Then you just click on one of the link there and it should open your IRC client and go to that channel, then you right click and paste in the chat box (when you clicked the link in PacketNews, it sends a little text thing to the clipboard) and it should be something like /ctcp blah blah blah and then press enter. Most of the time you will have to wait in line (or queue).

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Take note that most Emu-Network hubs that Mr. G listed require you to share quite a bit before letting you in. (ah yes, Mr. G was kind enough to mention that. ;) )

Unless you can get a VIP status.

Edited by Agozer

I see. Guess i will have to wait till i gather up 5 gigs of sharing material. Why such a high minimum? ;).So,were there any other P2P programs i missed? And which P2P programs are best for what (i.e Klite:music and videos,eMule: rare files etc.)?

I see. Guess i will have to wait till i gather up 5 gigs of sharing material. Why such a high minimum?  :rolleyes:.So,were there any other P2P programs i missed? And which P2P programs are best for what (i.e Klite:music and videos,eMule: rare files etc.)?

You can still grab VGM from VGM Central is you have something to share.....hint hint. ;)

I see. Guess i will have to wait till i gather up 5 gigs of sharing material. Why such a high minimum?  ;).So,were there any other P2P programs i missed? And which P2P programs are best for what (i.e Klite:music and videos,eMule: rare files etc.)?

romsterhub,.ath.cx only has a 200mb minimum, gotta be roms or iso's though.

Actually, disregard my previous post and try IRC.

It's basically one of the only original ways of distributing pirated content that is still widely used. IRC will make you appreciate the modern P2P programs more. Contact me if you're interested, and I'll point you towards some of my old stomping grounds.

Edited by Jiggs