Need some answers :)

Keith

I don't get how you can say there are no such thing as real coders. It just doesn't make sense.

Is Azimer a real coder? icepir8? Epsilon? Damn right they were.

There are real coders. "Team Cassini" just aren't one of them.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) That this is an open source project.

- Go read up on the GPU/GNL.  Giving out disassembled ASM code is far from a legitimate Open Source Emulator.

It could be noted that Cassini is in violation of the LGPL. It uses the LGPL'ed AKRip32 library but fails to include both the license and the sources which is in direct violation of the library's license. (The "new audio engine" that's been advertised seems to consist solely of an upgraded version of this library.)

dbodner, i think K'dash is trying to say something but cant form his thought completely (must be talking to someone at IRC again :D).

Precisisly. IRC and me posting here at the same time isn't good, train of though tends to seperate the fine lines between bbs and irc.

Ok, i'll get it straight now.

Ok, now I'm a coder as well(nothing big, still learning the ropes of HL and Quake 3's SDKs), i just don't do emulation because, well, I suck at it. Does that mean i'm a real coder? Yes, I code. I'm a coder, just not at that calibure. Just because these guys deassymbled something and added 40% of new code to it, does that mean their real coders? Yes, in their own way.

They (the term "real coder") don't exist because, it's you know how to code [at something, which in this case, would be an Emulator] or you don't.

Script kiddies are the lower class of coders. Does that mean their real coders? Yes, in their one [stupid] way.

These people who put their time into making these emulators certainly are excellent programmers.

If you start talking the ways these guys "coded" this sheit, thats a different thread. But are they coders? Yes they are. Their just not the ones the emulation community wants right now because of this "legality" and contridics the "Almanac of Emulation"(note: someone should make one) or something of this Cassinininininininini.

I rest my case on way the term "real coder" does not exist. I'll talk no more about this "real coder" crap, just PM me your response if you want.

*hopes the thread will go back to the way it was*

Edit: If you talk about this, I refuse to answer it because it will mean going off topic. This also applies to all my other posts regarding this.

Edited by K`dash

Wow this has Been crazy ,Anyway I agree that it was not wise to Support Cassini Emulator at this time, Maybe after if they show some legal proof from Sega that they can do so.

Anyway I also like to welcome keith and the others who have Joined, I hope you enjoy your time at 1Emulation.

Edited by James

well, if you want to get into semantics about how you interpret the word, that's fine.  but the meaning of my use of the term still stands.

And lets keep it at that.

Now, lets hope Sega gives the go ahead. Why? I don't know.

Anyway I also like to welcome keith and the others who have Joined, I hope you enjoy your time at 1Emulation.

And would post in other forums too, and not just this one. :D

Anyway, welcome on my behalf too.

We are trying to confirm legality......

Return-Path: <webmaster@barnitos.net>; Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:35:32 -0400 (EDT)

Message-ID: <20040715173531.64140.qmail@web60708.mail.yahoo.com>

Received: from [66.24.236.19] by mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:35:31 PDT

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:35:31 -0700 (PDT)

To: webmaster@sega.co.jp

Cc: webmaster@barnitos.net, sega-location@soj.sega.co.jp,

legal@soj.sega.co.jp, segapr@segaamerica.com, legal@segaamerica.com,

info@segahelp.com, webmaster@sega-europe.com,

segamaga@soj.sega.co.jp, okunoh@soj.sega.co.jp,

ishizawan@soj.sega.co.jp, hisadah@soj.sega.co.jp,

otsukih@soj.sega.co.jp

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-1631606260-1089912931=:61374"

Content-Length: 1489

--0-1631606260-1089912931=:61374

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

To whom it may concern,

I am interested in the legal rights that Sega Enterprises holds on the GiriGiri Saturn Emulator Project. Considering it being a dropped commercial product, the recent takeover of Sega, and complete lack of it as a commercial emulator, we were wondering if in fact it is legal or not to reverse engineer it as a free emulator project. We would also like to inquire as to whether we might request a Source Code for it. After all sega has no use for it anymore, and the emulation community would love to get their hands on it and work to make it run 100% of Saturn games. Please keep in mind we in no way want to profit from this, we just want to keep the Saturn Emulation scene alive. We have been having legal debates with emulation sites all over the net, all of whom are claiming this emulator illegal. We understand the burden of proof is on us, and we absolutely don't want to continue this without a definitive answer to the question of it's legality. Please forward this to the SOJ legal department, as our project depends on a definitive yes or no answer as to whether we can continue legally.

Sincerely Yours,

James R Barnito,

webmaster@barnitos.net

www.barnitos.net

Cassini Emulator Project -  Reverse Engineering the Girigiri Emulator by Shinya Miyamoto and the Girigiri Team

http://www.barnitos.net/cassini/

NOTE: We do not advocate piracy. The emulator is intended to play legal backups of games people already own...

---------------------------------

Edited by [RR]Rommaster