Response @ "Cassini Warning" & False Claims

It's not like you're all going to prison for several years because a few guys got together and decided they're going to rework an emulator for a rare console that most people don't even remember. So, why worry about it?

Besides, Weird brought up a good point. Isn't GBA emulation illegal, because Nintendo patented it? Could someone please tell me why that is ok, but this isn't? Also, isn't the BIOs you have to download to get ePSXe to work illegal as well? Why hasn't a shitstorm of paranoia been kicked up over it? Sony is a much bigger company than Sega ever thought of being.

Edited by Jiggs

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides, Weird brought up a good point. Isn't GBA emulation illegal, because Nintendo patented it? Could someone please tell me why that is ok, but this isn't?

Jiggs made an excellent question above...and also makes a valid point. We've discussed about this before, but it seems everything comes back to this whenever a new ground-breaking emulator is released.

Emulators themselves aren't illegal. With rom images, there is no grey area or the so-called 24-hour rule. BIOSes and software are copyrights of their respective owners and can only be used without payment if the developer has released it to the public.

It is stated in many laws that a consumer can make a backups of the software he/she owns in case of data loss or some other property damage. Then again, Nintendo desn't approve this either.

Nintendo is known to be the most paranoid and merciless among all software/hardware companies when it comes to piracy of their products whether they be chipped consoles to bootlegs to dumped games that float in the Internet.

I really don't see what the fuzz is about. I can fairly say that 99% of the people involved in emulation in some way have backups or dumps that are not from their own collections. Emulator authors detach themselves from any responsibility by (by making a certain game emulated after some years have passed since the original release) and not giving links to BIOSes (if the emulator use such a program) or the rom image dumps. I think that this is a good thing.

People who give statements like "All rom links/BIOS links will be deleted" are the same as others; they do have their illegal stuff, but want nothing to do with the legal aspects of it; they just get rid of any responsibility on their part.

What next? Companies should ban CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R and DVD-RW because they promote piracy? Give me a break.

The Sega Saturn has been long dead, but the copyrights still stand. The consoles themselves are scarce, so people can't get a hold of them so easily anymore. Emulation fixed this. If people so badly want the Saturn stuff, they go out there and search for it. No bitching will make it any more legal or illegal than it *supposedly* already is.

So, let's stop the bitching already. Emulate things if you want to or don't do so; it's your choice anyway.

EDIT: Jiggs is right again by saying that emulation is being hypocritical. Damn right it is.

Edited by Agozer

I was talking to Jiggs before on AIM. I said, now if I can remember correctly before I closed the window.

crap, I really hope this is what I what I said.

"I really think that emulation is being hyprocrital"

or something like that, man, I wish I saved it. And I mean it to a term of something...something....something...I'm screwed aren't I?

I just noticed that Keith is talking about the moral issue of "stealing Sega's work on girigiri" or something equally retarded. Come on. You're aiding the playing of pirated games by running an emulators site, and you're trying to discuss morals?

That sounds like a pot dealer who is advising against the use of certain pipes and bongs, based on "moral grounds." I've pretty much lost the ability to take all the participants in this debate seriously (Not that I did anyway).

Edited by Jiggs

Jiggs is a genius, everyone.

You're running an emulation site. Essentially, you are supporting piracy. Why not shut 1Emulation down if you don't want to support anything illegal?

No matter what, if you run an emulation site, you support illegal activities, even if you don't have any roms or bios uploaded.

So stop freting about it. The worst that can happen is you'll get an email from Sega telling you to take off something.

Oh, this is fun.

Someone replies here, and they reply over there. Maybe I should reg?

To whoever pointed out the flaw in my analogy: Ok, so it would be like someone running a head shop recommending against certain pipes and bongs based on "moral grounds." There. Now it works.

And I'm starting to suspect that Keith is saying everything he's saying with a wink and an nod.

As Dooz said, the worst that will happen is that they'll get a take-down notice or something. So, it's really not all that big of a deal.

Ok, replying to Keith: I think that "keeping integrity" in something that is so closely related to illegal activity is kind of silly. The "illegal ROM scene" and the "emulation scene," might be different, but you practically cannot have one without the other. Yes, I understand that it IS possible to play totally legal games with an emulator, but really, how many people do that exclusively? And how many programmers are going to create/hack an emulator just so that they can play their favorite PD game? I'm really suspecting the wink and nod mentality, here.

Oh, and I'd really love to point out something: GBA emulation (The last time I heard anything about it, anyway) was patented by Nintendo, which brings the GBA emulators on your site (As well these other emulation sites) into question (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, preferably with links). While I realize that these two situations are totally different, that still doesn't stop the emulators from being technically illegal, nor does it stop the process of GBA emulation from being Nintendo's. While there are some major differences in the situations, the main point remains.

NOTE: Keep in mind that I'm pretty bored as of right now, and am waiting on a call to go to work so that I can make crack dealers see red, and college girls cry.

Edited by Jiggs

Besides, Weird brought up a good point. Isn't GBA emulation illegal, because Nintendo patented it? Could someone please tell me why that is ok, but this isn't?

Jiggs made an excellent question above...and also makes a valid point. We've discussed about this before, but it seems everything comes back to this whenever a new ground-breaking emulator is released.

Emulators themselves aren't illegal. With rom images, there is no grey area or the so-called 24-hour rule. BIOSes and software are copyrights of their respective owners and can only be used without payment if the developer has released it to the public.

It is stated in many laws that a consumer can make a backups of the software he/she owns in case of data loss or some other property damage. Then again, Nintendo desn't approve this either.

Nintendo is known to be the most paranoid and merciless among all software/hardware companies when it comes to piracy of their products whether they be chipped consoles to bootlegs to dumped games that float in the Internet.

I really don't see what the fuzz is about. I can fairly say that 99% of the people involved in emulation in some way have backups or dumps that are not from their own collections. Emulator authors detach themselves from any responsibility by (by making a certain game emulated after some years have passed since the original release) and not giving links to BIOSes (if the emulator use such a program) or the rom image dumps. I think that this is a good thing.

People who give statements like "All rom links/BIOS links will be deleted" are the same as others; they do have their illegal stuff, but want nothing to do with the legal aspects of it; they just get rid of any responsibility on their part.

What next? Companies should ban CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R and DVD-RW because they promote piracy? Give me a break.

The Sega Saturn has been long dead, but the copyrights still stand. The consoles themselves are scarce, so people can't get a hold of them so easily anymore. Emulation fixed this. If people so badly want the Saturn stuff, they go out there and search for it. No bitching will make it any more legal or illegal than it *supposedly* already is.

So, let's stop the bitching already. Emulate things if you want to or don't do so; it's your choice anyway.

EDIT: Jiggs is right again by saying that emulation is being hypocritical. Damn right it is.

There not talking about Roms or ISO's or Bios being illegal they are saying the emulator is illegal, Because it was not there's to start with.