Favorite FPS

Rag

After having played ALOT of fps's I'd have to say that Duke3D is still my favourite. Probably followed then by Half-Life and UT (perhaps soon to be replaced by UT2K4, but I haven't played it enough yet).

The Unreal series is a curiousity. The first one looked AWESOME and I spent a fair while playing it, but then I just lost interest - something about the gameplay wasn't 'grabby' enough. I've also played Unreal 2 - again, graphically amazing, but I just didn't want to play it anymore after the second game. And yet, every UT game I've played has been instantly addictive, perhaps because the pace is like 3 times as fast as the Unreal series. And I didn't even LIKE tournament games until I played the original UT.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Half-Life

Half-Life: Opposing Force

Postal 2

Clive Barker's Undying

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Doom

Doom 2

Final Doom

Doom 64

Hexen

Aliens VS Predator

South Park

Duke Nukem 3D

Duke Nukem 64

Metroid Prime

Shadow Warrior

Red Faction

Quake

Quake 2

Quake 3

Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

That's all I can remember.

To be honest, I think FPS (or any game genre) that try to mimic reality like that are quite boring. Give me the wacky, crazy, unrealistic FPS anyday. I honestly don't see the attraction to "real" military based shooters these days.

I mean, what's the fun of a shooter if you can't do things like rocket jump Q3A style? Or bounce off grenades? This is one of the many reasons why I hate Counter Strike with a passion, too.

And also, I think FPS that go for the "real" thing violate a very strong rule in FPS, or any shooting game...they require you to think! And to plan tactics!!! No way! Shooters should be more or less based on reflexes, reactions, and how well you can shoot a gun, not brain power. Bar a few notable exceptions, such as Thief 2 and Deus Ex, maybe.

Well, I do like reality-based FPS too, but I still like FPS that scares the crap out of me. Especially with all the relentless monsters keep on bearing down on you.

Painkillers is nice.

To be honest, I think FPS (or any game genre) that try to mimic reality like that are quite boring. Give me the wacky, crazy, unrealistic FPS anyday. I honestly don't see the attraction to "real" military based shooters these days.

I mean, what's the fun of a shooter if you can't do things like rocket jump Q3A style? Or bounce off grenades? This is one of the many reasons why I hate Counter Strike with a passion, too.

And also, I think FPS that go for the "real" thing violate a very strong rule in FPS, or any shooting game...they require you to think! And to plan tactics!!! No way! Shooters should be more or less based on reflexes, reactions, and how well you can shoot a gun, not brain power. Bar a few notable exceptions, such as Thief 2 and Deus Ex, maybe.

Yeah FPS that try to act as real as they can can be such a bore. Played Ghost Recon once and never had interest in it again. Played Serious Sam once and I'm addicted for life.

This is hard for me because i play so many FPSes i might as well be a fat 30 year old who lives in his moms garage who trys to find decent servers on gamespy while knocking over a plate of momma's freshy microwaved hot pockets and burning himself causing him to swing his arm around and knock the computer screen into the garage door which then falls off its crappy rusted hinges and kills him.

okay maybe its not that bad, but i do play alot of them.

Lateley its been Red Faction, Rainbow Six 3, Command and Conquer Renagade, Counter-Strike (holy crap, i have never played a game online with so many goddamn whiners, yeah, i probably suck compared to alot of people, but boo hoo, i dont start spamming the room and screaming in my headset making rediculous claims to why i lost), Max Payne 2 (with FPS mod, if that counts), Duke 3D, Serious Sam, and some other various games.

If anyone wants to play me in any FPS, send me a PM or something, chances are i own it.

Edited by Shibathedog

Yeah FPS that try to act as real as they can can be such a bore. Played Ghost Recon once and never had interest in it again. Played Serious Sam once and I'm addicted for life.

I agree with you and Basara. Duke and Serious Sam are cool and fun. Althought Red Faction has been one of my most played PS2 games to date. It's not too realistic.

Edited by Agozer

Unreal Tournament 2004 and the original UT

nothing beats fast paste shooter with gores and such, not to mentioned the latest installment lets you aboard both air and land vehicles to support yer fire against yer oponents.

oh and btw. my other favorite were Deus Ex, never got a chance to play the second installment, but the first one is pretty intense. I must say to be honest the most detailed FPS game ever, in terms of activity in the environment, you can mess with alot of things u will find in the levels, not to mentioned great weapons and superb gadgets.