Xbox Officially Outsells Ps2 In Us!

Alpha

Citing NPD numbers, Microsoft declares its console had a 51-percent market share in April 2004.

In the time before E3, many analysts were saying that, as a result of its $149 price drop, the Xbox had begun to outsell the PlayStation 2 in the US American Technology Research analyst P.J. McNealy told CBS Marketwatch that Microsoft's console sold 270,000 units during the month, compared to 200,000 PS2s and 100,000 Nintendo GameCubes.

Today, Microsoft echoed McNealy's assertion, announcing that the Xbox was indeed America's top-selling console in April. In a press release, Microsoft claimed the Xbox captured 51 percent of the US console market in the month following the March 30 price drop, with sales up 135 percent by volume compared to 2003. Comparatively, PlayStation 2 sales declined 29 percent to hit a 32-percent share, while the Nintendo GameCube sales dropped 5 percent to a 17-percent market share.

Curiously, Microsoft didn't give specific sales numbers as McNealy did. However, the company did claim all its figures were from NPD, the top American game-market research firm whose studies are the industry standard. Microsoft also cited European data from GfK and ChartTrack, NPD European equivalents, which said the Xbox's market share increased from 23 to 26 percent in April in the UK, France, and Germany combined.

"This marks the first time ever that Sony has been knocked off the leaderboard by another console in this generation," boasted Microsoft's release, which went on to list various notable Xbox events at E3 2004.

However, questions remain about the longevity of the Xbox's rise in sales. When its price dropped to $99 last fall, the GameCube enjoyed a similar boost, also outselling the PlayStation 2 for a short time. Although, some analysts think the Xbox may see a more long-term gain in market share, due to exclusives such as Ninja Gaiden and Halo 2 as well as the recently announced deal to bring Electronic Arts' mega-popular online games to Xbox Live.

Credits: http://GameSpot.com

----------

I think this is great news, since I am a big XBOX fan myself. Hopefuly though Nintendo will go past both of them with the new next generation systems.

Finally. I'm gonna kick Sony as much as I can now you buggy piece of crap that wants everything on THEIR memory sticks.

I loved the ps1 I mean look at FF8 psx compared to pc ff8, it blows it out of the water, in every respect... but when i read the specs on ps2 video memory i was severely disappapointed at Sony, and still to this day have never regretted not owning one.Girlfriends son has 1, so I can say I have access to 1 so no lack of exposure either, my opinion is still the same...

Xbox blows it away and Im pleased to hear this news, full knowing it would come.. How long will people still buy a machine which barely has enogh vid. memory to run notepad anyways? who cares about sony's reputation from the ps1? fact is they are greedy money hungry sob's...the demise of the ps2 its inevitable...

Just a pitty some companies namely Squaresoft can't seem to get on with M$, I guess they share Sony's greed... shame..

My 2 cents.. live with it...

Of course ff8 psx compared to pc version is a bad example, since square obviously hates m$ for some reason, regardless, the psx WAS a nice machine, its games played really well and enjoyed a big popularity filling a niche that other machines didn't. However I just feel sony shouldve put more video memory into its ps2, it wouldve lasted alot longer even m$ xbox maybe not have been conceived if that was the case.

M$ simply realised exactly what I did when I first read the specs on ps2.. nice cpu pitty about the GFX.. hmm maybe we should kick their ass with some off the shelves stuff we got now and add a nice HDD just to rub it in...

I don't think this is saying much...the ps2 has been on the market for heaps longer than the xbox, so its hardly surprising they're not selling as many any more - every man and his dog has one by now!

Never compare console and PC ports together.

I love my PS2 and always will. The only gripe I have is games that only save to a Memory Card that's in slot 1.

Edited by Agozer