Lan Problem

I’m having trouble setting up a simple two player LAN deathmatch (Quake 3, Unreal Tournament 2003, doesn’t matter which game).

I’m using 100mbit Ethernet network cards connected via a crossover cable. The computer’s can ping each other and files can be shared between them.

The only problem is upon starting up a game on one computer the other one keeps coming up with ‘no servers found’.

I thought it may have been something to do with my firewall but I’ve since uninstalled it and the problem remains – no matter which computer I host the game on the other states ‘no servers found’.

I hope this is a simple problem and that someone here knows the answer. It took me ages to sort out a network connection for sharing files, now I’ve hit another brick wall. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

Hmm...I have the same setup at home with my Dad's computer. Perhaps this weekend I will install a game on his comp and see what's going on.

It's a pity that games don't have IPX/SPX options anymore. Just TCP/IP. I used to play GTA (the original) and ROTT over IPX/SPX with a crossover cable connection.

But a suggestion would be to manually set the IP addresses on both computers. Make the first 3 sets of numbers the same and then alter the last one for the other computer. Like, 255.255.255.X, where X is any random number that the computers don't share. In my high school dorm, that's what we did to play a 2 player StarCraft game over a cross over cable. Don't know if it will work for the others, but its worth a shot.

Yeah, I thought it may have been something to do with the fact that the Quake III CD keys match on both PC's [even though QIII runs without the disc].

It says on the box both PC's need a copy of the game also, a few of my games may have different version numbers. However, to combat this I tried the UT2004 demo. (how can version number or copy protection apply to this demo?) Alas, it didn't work either, so something's going on somewhere.... :lol:

Hmmm... Try to SPECIFY the IP address for EACH computer..

For Windows 95/98/ME

Go into control panel and go into Network.

Then choose TCP/IP [Name of LAN Card] and choose properties

Go into IP address and change the IP address.

Then change the subnet mask to "255.255.255.0"

For Windows 2000/XP

Go to Network Connections then Local Area Connection,

choose properties.

Choose TCP/IP

Go into IP address and change the IP address.

Then change the subnet mask to "255.255.255.0"

For example, use the IP address "192.168.0.1" for the first computer then "192.168.0.2" for the 2nd computer.

Then in those games, CHOOSE THE NETWORK/LAN Game, it should appear.

One computer should host/create the game and the other can join after the 1st computer/host has finished loading.

changing the IP address did not work :)

Now that I can share files I thought it would be the simplest thing in the world. Why isn't it working? :-D

one of the computers has a 1394 net adapter (which is automatically bridged when running windows xp network set up).

However I clicked "let me choose the best settings" and have disabled the 1394 connection, using only the pci based ethernet adapter.

could this be causing any problem, should it be bridged or does the fact that i disabled it render it a non-issue?

That should be on for many reasons that I cannot explain. Other wise, go old skool and get your self a serial cable. It's the only way I can play Doom co-op.