Should We Start A 1Emulation Folding@home Team?

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ah, I know of this sort of thing, but a different name, yeah, a lot of people would be against it, but I'm a for it  :D

Good good. But I don't why people would be against it. It doesn't take up much processing power. Its safe. Its helpful. Doesn't take up any bandwith.

I guess I'll never understand people.

Do you know how much processing it really takes?

I have 63MB of RAM. I usually have about 2MB free.

Anon.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It uses whatever processing power you're not using. And the client takes about 6-10 megs of memory so I don't think you'll be able to use it :D Atleast not the GUI. The console one probably won't take as much memory.

It uses whatever processing power you're not using. And the client takes about 6-10 megs of memory so I don't think you'll be able to use it :( Atleast not the GUI. The console one probably won't take as much memory.

Then I won't be trying this....I have 32MB of memory.

i don't under stand what u guys r talking about maybe if u guys explain it to me i can join

i don't under stand what u guys r talking about maybe if u guys explain it to me i can join

Folding@home is a distributed computing project by Stanford University that uses many computers to fold and unlock the secrets of many disease causing proteins. Using thousands of home computers is a cost effective way to do all this computation of the algorithms.

This client uses the idle cycles of your computer and uses them to do this. Suppose that you're running Internet Explorer (Mozilla for cool people) and that's taking 10% of your CPU and some other system programs might be taking 5%, so the Folding@home client will use the leftover 85% of your processing capability to fold and unfold proteins.

This is a real time program so it adjusts whenever you do something else so it never hinders anything. But I do suggest closing it when you play a fullscreen 3D game. But that's just common sense.

Hope that was a decent explanation for you. You can check out folding.stanford.edu for more and better info.

das kool but what if they not using the program the way it's said to be used. what if it's a way for them to hack into our computers and read our logs to see if we'r doing anything illegal like downloading music and roms so i'm not sure about doing this

das kool but what if they not using the program the way it's said to be used. what if it's a way for them to hack into our computers and read our logs to see if we'r doing anything illegal like downloading music and roms so i'm not sure about doing this

I really doubt that. Its a scientific program and its based in a university and not the government. Geez, some of you people need to relax, not everything is a flocking conspiracy to nail you for downloading stuff illegally. I love how everyone thinks this is some Stanford plot to get into your harddrive. Well it isn't. :lol:

Edited by GryphonKlaw

still tho, if ur not careful enough u might just get caught

u'll never know when

still tho, if ur not careful enough u might just get caught

u'll never know when

What... are you talking about Folding@home or in general? Ofcourse if you download illegal stuff foolishly and aren't careful you'll get caught, but not because of this program.

Please read the FAQ on the page. You'll learn a lot more, if not about the program, atleast about proteins and how important they are.