video/display troubles

(I posted something similar a while ago but now I’m pretty sure this isn’t a problem specific to emulators and I have more information so I’m posting this in PC technical help. I’m sure it’ll be okay but feel free to move it if you must!)

My graphics card is an nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128mb ram and my screen resolution has always been set to 1600x1200 – 32bit (if that makes any odds).

What is displayed on the screen is cutting up temporarily (see Image) whenever anything scrolls (vertically and horizontally). The best description I could give is that it looks as though the scrolling images are ‘shimmering’.

This was initially noticeable whilst using emulators (as they are primarily 2D and scroll almost constantly). But the problem occurs whether moving a Window around or scrolling up and down on an Internet page.

I believe this problem was always noticeable but I’m pretty sure it’s much worse, horrendously so in fact.

I installed an official upgrade for nvidia display drivers from Microsoft ‘s site a while ago, I don’t know if this caused the problem to worsen or whether it just took me a while to notice it.

Does anyone know whether installing new video card drivers would be the thing to do or is there something else that may help, such as changing my monitors refresh rate or fiddling with the display adaptors settings?

I am a novice with most aspects of PC’s, so help and advice from people who know what they are talking about would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the drivers from the offical nVidia site other then MS's. Their's tends to be a month outdated.

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a strange twist in this tale. Everything I view on screen that scrolls causes this problem (emulator or window moving around desktop) all but one thing that is;

Magic Engine. It doesn't happen at all whilst using that. Why should this be the case? What's different about the way Magic Engine works?

Help would be appreciated. :huh:

Thanks

There has been a strange twist in this tale. Everything I view on screen that scrolls causes this problem (emulator or window moving around desktop) all but one thing that is;

Magic Engine. It doesn't happen at all whilst using that. Why should this be the case? What's different about the way Magic Engine works?

Help would be appreciated. :huh:

Thanks

Different DirectX handling code? MagicEngine works with as low as DirectX5, so could it be... Nah, I honestly don't know...

Here's an idea. This might work.

Uninstall all the drivers. Then uninstall the card (don't take it out, just uninstall in device manager). Restart. Let it say "New Device Found" and install the first set of drivers that you have like from the CD that came with the card. Restart. If things are working fine till now, install the latest drivers. If that doesn't work, try to switch that card out with a friend and see if the card messes up on his/her computer.

And also reinstall the latest non-beta DirectX. Don't use a beta because those aren't fully operational yet and everything should be as stable as possible.

Get back to me on this, I hope it works.

Thanks K-Man.

I'm a little worried about uninstalling display drivers, I don't understand how it will display anything when I restart if I uninstalled all video drivers (i'm new to computers). :)

Thanks for that reply, it may be for a short while until I can try it out, but it sounds like you know what you're talking about and I'll post back as soon as i've tried it.

:P

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

Windows XP comes with generic video drivers. Everything will look like crap (256 colors) but it's enough to work with.

Don't worry, you'll be alright. I've done it many times.

I look forward to hearing from you on your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, some advice:

Most emulators run at 16 bpp and will change your screen resolution to that when they start. To save your video card some wear and tear you might set your resolution to 16 bpp all the time. For the most part there is little visual difference between 16 bpp and 32 bpp anyway.

Secondly, you can always check the status of your DirectX drivers by clicking Start --> Run and type dxdiag.exe in the menu that pops up. This will open the DirectX diagnostics window.

I hope GryphonKlaw's idea works. Let us know if it does.

vampiro_penguin I don't know what type of monitor you are using but there is a huge difference between 16bpp and 32bpp....

32bpp is alot better and shows alot more colours than 16bpp....

Yeah that true, but if we start talking about certain software or emulators, 32bit colors start to show problems.