video/display troubles

I downloaded the latest compatible drivers (56.72_winxp2k_english_whql) from nvidia site.

I uninstalled all previous nvidia display drivers apart from nvidia WDM drivers (I don't know if that needs uninstalling or if it is automatically removed when uninstalling the others).

I Restarted, then double-clicked the '56.72_winxp2k_english_whql.exe' and went through the installation process, restarted again and.....

The problem is exactly the same. Would this have potentially fixed the problem or are there more steps I should have followed? Uninstalling anything else first for example?

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have uninstalled your card via Device Manager first, restarted the computer, installed the set of drivers in which your card didn't mess up on (if there are any, if not skip to next paragraph), and then upgrade later.

If your card has always messed up, then put the card in someone else's computer to see if it does it there. If it does, then your card is bad and needs to be replaced. If not, then there is something wrong with some of you settings.

Uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling new ones won't do much to diagnose the problem if you don't uninstall the card first.

vampiro_penguin I don't know what type of monitor you are using but there is a huge difference between 16bpp and 32bpp....

32bpp is alot better and shows alot more colours than 16bpp....

Yeah that true, but if we start talking about certain software or emulators, 32bit colors start to show problems.

Yeah but only old software has problems with 32bit colours...and many updated emulators are using 32bit colours now...Also, shin_nihon_kikaku I don't think its your drivers causing the problems...It might be that your card is getting to hot, which usually results in artifacts (the same problem your having)...

I have one question...when does the problem start....during startup of your PC or after you have used it for awhile???

I would say underclock your card or put it back to stock if you've clocked it. You must uninstall all your video drivers(meaning, components and all) and reinstall, then restart.

I'm pretty sure it's cool enough. The shimmering effect when scrolling is visible from right after start up.

I'll try uninstalling the card and using the first set of drivers but I'm pretty sure it has always f*d up when scrolling. :D

I'm pretty sure it's cool enough. The shimmering effect when scrolling is visible from right after start up.

I'll try uninstalling the card and using the first set of drivers but I'm pretty sure it has always f*d up when scrolling.  <_<

Hmm...well if its always done that, the next step should be to try it on some other computer. If it does the same thing there, get a new card. No need to keep fiddling with drivers and crap.

(I posted something similar a while ago but now I’m pretty sure this isn’t a problem specific to emulators and I have more information so I’m posting this in PC technical help. I’m sure it’ll be okay but feel free to move it if you must!)

My graphics card is an nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128mb ram and my screen resolution has always been set to 1600x1200 – 32bit (if that makes any odds).

What is displayed on the screen is cutting up temporarily (see Image) whenever anything scrolls (vertically and horizontally). The best description I could give is that it looks as though the scrolling images are ‘shimmering’.

This was initially noticeable whilst using emulators (as they are primarily 2D and scroll almost constantly). But the problem occurs whether moving a Window around or scrolling up and down on an Internet page.

I believe this problem was always noticeable but I’m pretty sure it’s much worse, horrendously so in fact.

I installed an official upgrade for nvidia display drivers from Microsoft ‘s site a while ago, I don’t know if this caused the problem to worsen or whether it just took me a while to notice it.

Does anyone know whether installing new video card drivers would be the thing to do or is there something else that may help, such as changing my monitors refresh rate or fiddling with the display adaptors settings?

I am a novice with most aspects of PC’s, so help and advice from people who know what they are talking about would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

i think thats what they called "tearing". if you have the option, turn on triple-buffering for smooth scrolling.

Edited by Xeon

(I posted something similar a while ago but now I’m pretty sure this isn’t a problem specific to emulators and I have more information so I’m posting this in PC technical help. I’m sure it’ll be okay but feel free to move it if you must!)

My graphics card is an nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128mb ram and my screen resolution has always been set to 1600x1200 – 32bit (if that makes any odds).

What is displayed on the screen is cutting up temporarily (see Image) whenever anything scrolls (vertically and horizontally). The best description I could give is that it looks as though the scrolling images are ‘shimmering’.

This was initially noticeable whilst using emulators (as they are primarily 2D and scroll almost constantly). But the problem occurs whether moving a Window around or scrolling up and down on an Internet page.

I believe this problem was always noticeable but I’m pretty sure it’s much worse, horrendously so in fact.

I installed an official upgrade for nvidia display drivers from Microsoft ‘s site a while ago, I don’t know if this caused the problem to worsen or whether it just took me a while to notice it.

Does anyone know whether installing new video card drivers would be the thing to do or is there something else that may help, such as changing my monitors refresh rate or fiddling with the display adaptors settings?

I am a novice with most aspects of PC’s, so help and advice from people who know what they are talking about would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

i think thats what they called "tearing". if you have the option, turn on triple-buffering for smooth scrolling.

VSync and Triple Buffering combined. Or then just VSync.

I uninstalled the card then installed the initial set of drivers that came with the card and it worked….sort of.

As I suspected when I first decided to post about this problem the ‘shimmering’ effect when scrolling wasn’t as noticeable when I first bought my computer. But it is still there. It’s just as bad in certain games such as Shinobi, but no longer spoils the enjoyment of other games such as Marvel Super Heroes in the way that it did. So I’m “sort of” satisfied with it.

Anyway thanks (GryphonKlaw and anyone else who contributed) for your help with this issue, I appreciate it.

Also, the new drivers (that had obviously increased the severity of the problem) caused the icon I had assigned to the Recycle Bin to revert back to the default icon every time I started up and, the filenames when browsing were never in alphabetical order, but some stupid order that didn’t correspond to modified, filesize or anything else. This has now been restored to how it should be thanks to using the original drivers. Anyone know why this would be the case? It sounds completely bizarre to me.