0.96.5 : a super tiny update !

Tux

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

Ah, I looked at the code and noticed you forgot to capitalize "shared" for this setting. I think this should be done to match the other naming standard used for the options in this menu.

... and I disagree ! ;) But, if you want, you can update the brazilian translation and put that in CAPITALS then (for the brazilian language only) !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mer-curious said:

By the way, it's not just the high score which is saved to the internal console memory. Some late Neo-Geo titles such as KOF'98, '99 and 2000 also save other information such as the game language and the difficulty level you set in the game options. This is how I noticed my personal data was lost for these games, I went to the options and saw the settings had been reset to default, then I let the game demo run to see that all my hardly achieved scores had been gone too. 😩 Hopefully this will never happen in Raine again. 🙏

Yeah the soft dips, I forgot the soft dips are stored there too, but not all the neogeo games have soft dips.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tux said:

... and I disagree ! ;) But, if you want, you can update the brazilian translation and put that in CAPITALS then (for the brazilian language only) !

Hello again! Thanks for the super fast reply.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to bother you with that. I know it's just a tiny detail in the text. However, I didn't mean you should write the whole word in capital letters, like "SHARED", but just the first letter, "Shared", as we have for "Yes", "No", "Enabled", "Disabled" and all the other settings in this menu.

It's a change just to follow the naming standardization we use in virtually all the GUI.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my previous post that there's a new SDL version in the SDL GitHub, but I don't know if it would bring any benefits to Raine...?

Finally, I noticed there's some information missing for the samsho2pe ROM when you expand the window, take a look:

Hf3722i.png

As you see in the bottom, the ROM information ends in an open bracket. I'm not sure if this is correct or not...

That's my quick reply for now.

Thank you so much again for your time and for the fast response.

7 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hello again! Thanks for the super fast reply.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to bother you with that. I know it's just a tiny detail in the text. However, I didn't mean you should write the whole word in capital letters, like "SHARED", but just the first letter, "Shared", as we have for "Yes", "No", "Enabled", "Disabled" and all the other settings in this menu.

It's a change just to follow the naming standardization we use in virtually all the GUI.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my previous post that there's a new SDL version in the SDL GitHub, but I don't know if it would bring any benefits to Raine...?

Finally, I noticed there's some information missing for the samsho2pe ROM when you expand the window, take a look:

Hf3722i.png

As you see in the bottom, the ROM information ends in an open bracket. I'm not sure if this is correct or not...

That's my quick reply for now.

Thank you so much again for your time and for the fast response.

The Shared, yeah probably right, I'll see that eventually.

SDL2, it's the 2.28.3 in raine for now, 2.28.5 on the site, so these are just minor fixes. You have the list of changes displayed in the release page in github :

https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/releases

and they also list the changes in their whatsnew file inside the archive if you get it from somewhere else. Nothing major for us, these are just minor bugfix releases.

Apparently their main branch is switched to sdl3 so I guess they will probably release that in a not too far future... Hopefully the switch will be less painful for applications... !

For the way too long name of the game : yeah I thought about that when copying and pasting the info from fbneo, I am tempted to just cut some part from it, but I can also remove any restriction on the length in the gui, now that it's fully opengl there is no risk to display off limits... I'll see, minor problem anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tux said:

The Shared, yeah probably right, I'll see that eventually.

Hello Tux! I'm glad you agreed with this small change. 👍

8 hours ago, Tux said:

Nothing major for us, these are just minor bugfix releases.

Ok. I didn't know they were working in a 3.0 version of SDL. I think all emulators still use the 2.0 version anyway.

8 hours ago, Tux said:

For the way too long name of the game : yeah I thought about that when copying and pasting the info from fbneo, I am tempted to just cut some part from it, but I can also remove any restriction on the length in the gui, now that it's fully opengl there is no risk to display off limits... I'll see, minor problem anyway.

Yes, it was just something I noticed when playing in full-screen and eventually showing the GUI. I saw the open bracket and thought it could be a typo. That's why I reported it.

By the way, since you talked about OpenGL, perhaps you could check why the OpenGL menu doesn't show like the other menus in the GUI, as you see below:

UbRct7p.png

It seems it doesn't have the transparency that is applied to all the other menus in the GUI. But I'm not sure if this is intended...?

Anyway, just another detail I noticed when configuring the shaders.

Thank you so much again for your work. 👍

31 minutes ago, mer-curious said:

It seems it doesn't have the transparency that is applied to all the other menus in the GUI. But I'm not sure if this is intended...?

It's because with the sdl1 gui you saw the video options menu behind it and for more readability you needed to have this one non transparent. Now I hadn't even noticed that now that the desktop background is drawn (the lines), we don't see anymore the background menu ! Oh well, this gui is not really a multi window system, so I am not going to try to recover the disappeared menu in the background, it would be outside its scope, but maybe restore the transparency here now yeah... !

• Like 1

Well finally I got curious about that, why not unleash all the crazy transparency from opengl instead ? And I got this :

transp.png

You have 2 menus and 1 dialog overlapping each other (you can see a very small part of the main menu at the very top, the top of the "Load game" line), plus some moving lines in the background, and the whole thing takes 0% cpu, because transparency was made in software mode in sdl1 but here it's in hardware mode and all this is natural for opengl... !

I had to make the dialogs more opaque to preserve some readability, so you'll have to go to gui options / colors / revert to, to reset the alpha channel to its new default value, either that or adjust the bg color manually (I fixed the color dialog, it was broken since the switch to sdl2, the colors are handled differently in sdl2 and nobody noticed, oh well...).

Maybe that's a little too much ? I'll wait a bit, but for now I think it's still very readable !

edit : finally I had to limit myself and revert to something more like what there was with the sdl1 gui, that is : draw the background menu only if the top most menu is a dialog (that is, it has black title bar attached to the menu, no top or bottom frame on screen). The reason is the game selection dialog, the main menu was hiding most of the background picture, which makes the feature useless. That's that, or remake completely differently this game selection dialog. Maybe one day, but not soon for sure... !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tux said:

It's because with the sdl1 gui you saw the video options menu behind it and for more readability you needed to have this one non transparent.

Hello Tux! Thanks for the explanation. So the opacity in this dialog was partially intentional in the end, if I understood it correctly...

1 hour ago, Tux said:

You have 2 menus and 1 dialog overlapping each other (you can see a very small part of the main menu at the very top, the top of the "Load game" line)

Yes, I can see the three menus overlapping. If you open the shader selection, will it also show a fourth menu over the others? 😅

1 hour ago, Tux said:

Maybe that's a little too much ? I'll wait a bit, but for now I think it's still very readable !

I'm not sure either. Preserving the menus in the background is interesting, but I guess I would have to check it for myself since I'm still used to the old GUI look.

But if preserving the menus doesn't bring any benefits to the user, maybe just showing the current menu as we have now could be better, no?

Anyway, at least now all menus are standardized in terms of transparency.

Thank you again for your time and also for sharing with us your work in progress in Raine. 👍

Edited by mer-curious

Ok, just release 0.96.6, no new topic because it's exactly the same kind as the previous one, small things. The difference is that this time there is no new game :

- what I hope will be the curl final fix, see a few posts higher in this topic for more info, everything should finally work as expected, it will create html files for index in the raine directory when needed.
 - a fix for savegames in the gui which showed by mistake the clones saves at the same time, this thing is never used, really.
 - the neogeo saveram can be saved by game to preserver hiscores, or shared as the neogeo hardware did and as we did until now. Option in neogeo/neocd options.
 - Fixed the colors selection in the gui (gui options / colors), they were broken since the switch to sdl2 ! and slightly improved the look of the green theme by the way.
 - The old behavior of the sdl1 gui where menus appeared behind dialogs in transparency is restored, it's only for dialogs, those having a black title bar.
You can update the blue theme either by going to gui options / colors / revert to... and choose green, then blue, then exit and the colors are updated. Or edit the bg color in this same menu, and set alpha to 0xc0, same result. Or you can do nothing to keep the old one, but then don't complain if the transparency makes things hard to read sometimes !

The rest are super minor changes, not worth detailing here...

http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

• Like 1

Hello Tux! Thank you for this new small update release of Raine.

I made a quick test here and here's my feedback:

1- The issue with the Save state/Load state menu in Game options is fixed for the parent rom, but for the cloned rom there is still a glitch with showing the save state slots information, as you see below with the samsho2pe clone:

QxWmvwC.png

You can see that the save/load states are all marked as 0. It seems the program is not reading correctly the slot information from the save files.

If you'd like to test you can download my save files from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yx9iwGSmV7wKe1nk4CHzWO_jq5dnMYI-/

2- I tried Raine now with the restored feature of the background window in the OpenGL options and I found it a little confusing to see the OpenGL options. It looks like this here:

cKDz4KP.png

I'm not sure if the screenshot captures the difficulty I have here to read the options. Anyway, I don't use this menu a lot though, so this change doesn't affect me much. But perhaps it could affect more others? Especially someone using Raine for the first time and going through all the program menus.

If you agreed, perhaps it would be better to keep it the old way, that is, without a background window...

3- Finally, I'm not sure if you took a look at the open bracket information in samsho2pe, but I can still reproduce it here, as you see below:

rgR8Sww.png

If you open the shader selection you see that the space for rom information is bigger.

But this isn't really an issue, just something I noticed which seems to be missing for this particular ROM.

Anyway, that's my quick report for this version.

Thank you so much for your continuing work on the program. 👍