Raine 0.95.4 : break the speed limit for the execution of scripts !

Tux

Yeah, ffman1985 was making bigger and bigger scripts which were harder and harder for the old script system, so I tried an lua interface instead, and it made wonders, I can have 0% in Misc with a console script active in linux with the 32 bits version constantly !

The console scripts are available for xmcotar1d, sfz2ald, sfad, af2, af2j, sf2hf, sf2hfj, sf2ce, sf2cejc. For now the old normal version is still available for comparison, but since we couldn't find any bug it will probably be removed next time. The lua version has [lua] at the end of its title. There is a perl converter to convert from the old scripts to the new lua syntax, but it's useful only for those writing scripts !

You can read more details about the crazy work from ffman1985 with these scripts there, and post something for him too :

This means you get a new dll, it's included in the raine32 and raine64 zip files for now.

Except that :
 - some last fixes for the multiple files selector to preload ips dat files
 - a setting to disable ips files globally (at the top of the "preload ips dat files" file selector)
 - revert a neogeo optimization which made unibios crazy with its strange screensaver (a black screen when using their cheat menu)
 - a fix so that keys which open a gui dialog are not seen as always down when returning to the game

Get it from there : http://raine.1emulation.com/download/latest.html

linux binaries updated (except the appImage)

edit : oh by the way, the how to compile guide was updated too for lua, and I added a part about the minimum things to know about mingw if you install it only to compile raine.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 2

And you got a 0.95.4b, a bug specific to windows and which doesn't happen all the time displayed very weird script error messages. And the lua label was missing for the lua console script for sf2, that's all so it's sill 0.95.4, just an update.

• Like 1

😊 Hello Tux! Thanks a lot for this new release and for the quick follow-up fix. I haven't tried the new cheats system yet, but I certainly will eventually, and then I'll come back here to report any issues with that in Windows. But I still have my quick feedback from my previous report:

- The Guide button from the X360 controllers are automatically mapped to the "Stop emulation" function now, but you cannot leave the GUI with the button as you would with the ESC key. Isn't it possible to make it work as exactly as the ESC key does in this function? Otherwise it's just another "Return to the GUI" alternative as we discussed in the other thread. For reference, you can open and close the GUI in Retroarch with the Guide button.

- By the way, the GUI glitch in the Inputs menu is still present in this version, as you see here. But now you need to connect a controller with the program already opened and displaying the "Raine controls" menu in order to trigger the glitch. A little uncommon to have this scenario, but it's still there if you would like to take a look.

- Finally, I was thinking about a new way to remember the cursor position in the game selection menu. Currently if you select a game from the Recents or the Most played lists, run the game and then return to the game selection list, Raine will take you to the game name in the main list instead of the top of the list which is where you were (the Recents and Most played are placed there). My suggestion is to implement the following condition: if you load a game from the Recents or Most played lists, the cursor will be in the top of the list when you return to the game selection menu; likewise, if you load a game directly by its name in the main full game selection list, then Raine will remember the cursor position in that game and take you back there when returning to the game selection list.

I thought of this because playing using a controller from the couch becomes easier if you can quickly select a game using the Recents and Most played lists, but when you return to the game selection then the cursor is down there in the game name, so it takes a few moments longer to return to the top and enter the lists again.

Anyway, just some minor details which I come through when using your emulator in some different scenarios. If it's easily doable, OK, if not, let it for another time.

I really appreciate your attention to read my posts.

Thank you so much again for your work.

Edited by mer-curious

10 hours ago, mer-curious said:

😊 Hello Tux! Thanks a lot for this new release and for the quick follow-up fix. I haven't tried the new cheats system yet, but I certainly will eventually, and then I'll come

- The Guide button from the X360 controllers are automatically mapped to the "Stop emulation" function now, but you cannot leave the GUI with the button as you would with the ESC key. Isn't it possible to make it work as exactly as the ESC key does in this function? Otherwise it's just another "Return to the GUI" alternative as we discussed in the other thread. For reference, you can open and close the GUI in Retroarch with the Guide button.

For now just use button 2 instead of guide, and it just closes the current dialog as does ESC key. If the guide key was handled here it would have to close all dialogs to return to the game, there is currently no function to do that. Just press button 2, it would be B, it's must easier !

- By the way, the GUI glitch in the Inputs menu is still present in this version, as you see here. But now you need to connect a controller with the program already opened and displaying the "Raine controls" menu in order to trigger the glitch. A little uncommon to have this scenario, but it's still there if you would like to take a look.

- Finally, I was thinking about a new way to remember the cursor position in the game selection menu. Currently if you select a game from the Recents or the Most played lists, run the game and then return to the game selection list, Raine will take you to the game name in the main list instead of the top of the list which is where you were (the Recents and Most played are placed there). My suggestion is to implement the following condition: if you load a game from the Recents or Most played lists, the cursor will be in the top of the list when you return to the game selection menu; likewise, if you load a game directly by its name in the main full game selection list, then Raine will remember the cursor position in that game and take you back there when returning to the game selection list.v

I thought of this because playing using a controller from the couch becomes easier if you can quickly select a game using the Recents and Most played lists, but when you return to the game selection then the cursor is down there in the game name, so it takes a few moments longer to return to the top and enter the lists again.

Very fast if you use the direction pad left, and keep it down, there is an auto repeat which brings you to the top in a super short time.

But the fastest remains the alphabetical keys in the keyboard, you can't beat this to quickly find a game in the game list, it even makes most recent lists useless.

Anyway, just some minor details which I come through when using your emulator in some different scenarios. If it's easily doable, OK, if not, let it for another time.

I really appreciate your attention to read my posts.

Thank you so much again for your work.

57 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

PKGBUILD working perfectly on Arch, thanks for the update.

And it has lua as new dependency, but I tested it here too, works perfectly yes !

On 4/29/2023 at 6:41 AM, mer-curious said:

😊 Hello Tux! Thanks a lot for this new release and for the quick follow-up fix. I haven't tried the new cheats system yet, but I certainly will eventually, and then I'll come

- Finally, I was thinking about a new way to remember the cursor position in the game selection menu. Currently if you select a game from the Recents or the Most played lists, run the game and then return to the game selection list, Raine will take you to the game name in the main list instead of the top of the list which is where you were (the Recents and Most played are placed there). My suggestion is to implement the following condition: if you load a game from the Recents or Most played lists, the cursor will be in the top of the list when you return to the game selection menu; likewise, if you load a game directly by its name in the main full game selection list, then Raine will remember the cursor position in that game and take you back there when returning to the game selection list.

After thinking, we could add a shortcut for the joystick to switch to the top entries where the most recent commands are, with the keyboard it's the tab key. Any proposal for the default button to use on the joystick ? (probably select or start)

edit : it's done, with the back button, which is select on a playstation controller.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tux! I've seen you've been working a lot in Raine in GitHub.

I have just submitted a pull request to change some texts a little bit, a very minor revision. See if you like it.

On 4/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, Tux said:

For now just use button 2 instead of guide, and it just closes the current dialog as does ESC key. If the guide key was handled here it would have to close all dialogs to return to the game, there is currently no function to do that. Just press button 2, it would be B, it's must easier !

Ok, no problem.

By the way, I would suggest a change for the text in the "Stop emulation" function too, I would perhaps call it "Stop emulation (show/hide the GUI)" because that's exactly what the Escape key does in this function, right? But since there's no way to leave the GUI with the Guide button yet, I would have to ask you first to unbind the Guide button from this function and bind it again to the "Return to the GUI" one, which I had it bound to before. We still can't hide the GUI with the Guide button (or any other button assigned to that function), so my new description would be a little misleading for the controller button, unfortunately.

Perhaps when you have some free time and interest in this issue you could check it out again? Yes, in Retroarch the Guide button closes all the menus at once, which is quite a nice feature (especially when playing with the shaders). But in Raine this button could just mimic what the Escape key does, that is, go back and go back all the menus until show the game. Maybe this would be easier to do?

Anyway, if you think it's too difficult or time consuming you could just unbind the Guide button from "Stop emulation" as default and bind it to "Return to GUI"? I guess this would make more sense for now because currently both keyboard and joystick button work the same in this function (you can't leave the GUI with Tab as well as with a controller button).

On 4/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, Tux said:

Very fast if you use the direction pad left, and keep it down, there is an auto repeat which brings you to the top in a super short time.

But the fastest remains the alphabetical keys in the keyboard, you can't beat this to quickly find a game in the game list, it even makes most recent lists useless.

Thank you for tip. I'll try to use that and see if I get used to it.

By the way, the keyboard left arrow key is also loading the games when pressed in the game selection menu. Is this correct? I thought maybe just the right arrow key could be allowed to do that, because it also works to "confirm" some actions and enter the menus. Maybe it was implemented by mistake?

Anyway, I'll your comments on that.

On 4/30/2023 at 1:00 PM, Tux said:

After thinking, we could add a shortcut for the joystick to switch to the top entries where the most recent commands are, with the keyboard it's the tab key. Any proposal for the default button to use on the joystick ? (probably select or start)

edit : it's done, with the back button, which is select on a playstation controller.

Great! Thanks for letting me know. When playing from a distance of the keyboard these controller shortcuts always come in handy.

Thank you so much again for your continuing work. 😊

Edited by mer-curious

Yeah big update on cps2, ffman1985 started it with his scripts then he found the sound associations didn't work that well in cps2 which was not a surprise since it has never been really tested, so we fixed that, then he complained that we still have some graphical problems in some cps2 games, which were because of the way these crazy priority masks work, after a big hesitation I finally added some emulation for that, we also found a lot of region bytes for cps2 games and could identify clones where the only difference is the region byte, since it can be changed from the gui now it allowed to remove quite a few useless clones. I'd like to check a few more things but a release is probably going to happen soon.

For the strings, yeah I saw, I'll check that later (but it can't be applied immediately because I need to check if it breaks some translations or anything else 1st).

For your guide mapping, you are free to remap it to whatever you like on your setup, it's just a default configuration, it can be changed as all the default controls, but I won't change it again for now, sorry, absolutely not interested. Same thing for guide to close all gui dialogs, if nobody provides a patch for that, then it won't happen anytime soon. And I absolutely don't care at what retroarch does ! I am not against it if somebody writes the code and provides a patch, but I don't want to try to do it for now.

Yeah left key on the keyboard is not exactly logical in this way, well it's because basically this gui is supposed to be very simple and it shows here, left and right keys are going to next or previous item if there is one on the current line, but if there is none then the current item is selected. In the game selection dialog, the game is loaded. Oh well, never mind, I didn't even know that actually, but it doesn't really bother me.
edit : for the joystick mapping, it should logically be left and right either shoulder or trigger now to change pages, the reason why it's left and right for now is because it was added before sdl2 and its game controller interface which allows to identify precisely the controls. I agree I should change that one day, but well the left and right do their work for now... !

Edited by Tux