Mame PC | CoinOps - Perfect Pixel Comparison

PhilExile

Hello,

After finally experimenting with the most recent MAME on the PC, I've again realized what a unique platform the original XBOX is for emulation. Basically, perfect pixel is impossible on the PC version of MAME. A friend told me this is because when MAME started it was a DirectDraw application and in DirectDraw the scanlines are overlayed on the unscaled game output and the output is scaled afterwards. Only with the step to Direct3D it became important, but it was never fixed. BP really did an amazing job on the pixel perfect functionality! No other port of MAME has anything like it.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know who are maybe yearning for the more 'powerful' PC equivalent of their emulators - you aren't missing out on much. The Nestopia port for the Xbox even seems to be surpassing the native PC version and with the new SNES update from Madmab coming soon, we are going to be set. :P

Thanks to all!

• 1 month later...
BP really did an amazing job on the pixel perfect functionality! No other port of MAME has anything like it.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know who are maybe yearning for the more 'powerful' PC equivalent of their emulators - you aren't missing out on much. The Nestopia port for the Xbox even seems to be surpassing the native PC version and with the new SNES update from Madmab coming soon, we are going to be set. :lol:

Thanks to all!

I gave up on PC emulation after 10+ years when I get fed up trying to get good resolution on a 480i TV via component cables I installed in my cabinet. I tried ATI and nVidia and all sorts of driver versions in XP and Linux. When I stumbled across coinops and fired up one of my old modded xboxes that was collecting dust, I had it working pretty much how I wanted it in 10 minutes. Put on top of that the time saved configuring video previews and front ends on a PC and there is little reason to use a PC. Not only is it amazing, it is easy. Unless you have a PC kicking around, it is cheap too.

Speaking of pixel perfect, I have a question for the collective.

I've recently modded another box and put it with the CRT. It's dreamy.

But the problem I have is that I'm not sure of how best to configure the emus. I'm UK based. Do I set the xbox to NTSC, PAL50 or 60... or what?

The TV can handle both, however, if I set it to PAL60 (which I'd prefer), it seems some emus - SNES9 and Mednafen are the only two I've tried, presently - have some serious overscan if I use the "set screen to pixel perfect" setting (the one that defaults your filter settings to POINT and NOTHING). (By "overscan", I mean that the image is quite a bit bigger than the size of the screen, if you get me, meaning I can't see the top or bottom of the game that's running.) If I "force to PAL50" within the emulator itself, this overscan disappears.

What's the best set up for a UK PAL60 xbox? Should I avoid using the pixel perfect setting in the console emus altogether, and just use bilinear and a filter? Is setting the xbox to NTSC the only way to get around this? Is there a setting I've just overlooked someplace?

Anyone?

Edited by RatherAnnoyed

Most Xbox emulators are designed to be run at 60Hz. So I'd recommend using PAL60 for everything to avoid potential problems.

So-called pixel perfect settings just display a game at double its native internal resolution, that's all it is. So some games won't fit your screen and others will display black bars. Personally I wouldn't recommend these settings. Without purchasing additional hardware, the only way to make your games fit your screen and look as they would look playing on the original system is to use a hardware filter.

• 6 months later...

Most Xbox emulators are designed to be run at 60Hz. So I'd recommend using PAL60 for everything to avoid potential problems.

So-called pixel perfect settings just display a game at double its native internal resolution, that's all it is. So some games won't fit your screen and others will display black bars. Personally I wouldn't recommend these settings. Without purchasing additional hardware, the only way to make your games fit your screen and look as they would look playing on the original system is to use a hardware filter.

Hey, I was searching over at googles and this thread showed up.

What's that hardware filter you are talking about?

The thing is, I have a Neo Geo CDZ, a Neo Geo AES and a consolized NeoGeo MVS and comparing the graphics with the original hardware Xbox don't look right.

My TV can only take s-video and it's CRT. I'm feeding the same TV with s-video from the neo geo mvs/aes and the xbox.

The xbox seems to loose a few details on the picture it doesn't look sharp enough.

I'm using the advanced HD pack with s-video for my TV.

The other thing is the flickering filter, I need to set it to 5 for a steady picture, 0 is like "reading on the bus", is that common for everyone?

Which settings and which extra hardware do you guys recommend to make the xbox looks the most closer as possible to the original NeoGeo?

Hi and welcome,

The problem is that the Xbox can't output any resolution lower than 640x480 so, whatever you do, some upscaling will be involved which will look different to the original system. The closest you will get to looking like a real Neo Geo is setting your emulator to a bilinear hardware filter, Simple2x software filter, the flicker filter setting as low as you can bear it, and then scaling the screen to as close to the original system as you can. You will need to use Final Burn Legends as your emulator since CoinOPS does not support Simple2x software filtering. All these options can be found in the video settings.

The alternative is to use the Point hardware filter and set your screen size to exactly double the Neo Geo's resolution (some call this pixel perfect). This will give you a sharper picture but to be honest I wouldn't recommend it since it will not give you a screen size accurate to the original system. With this method you also have the problem that the Neo Geo uses 2 separate resolutions so you'd have to set the screen size on a per-game basis.

Hope that's helpful.