3D TV

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know why they even bother with glasses. Sure there are various techs to make glassesles 3D... but get on that. Find what works and make it so! This glasses BS might kill the whole thing.

It IS the glasses that kill it. It's bad enough they are required, but they add $200-$300 PER PERSON to the cost of your already overpriced TV.

If they want this to take off, they're going to have to at least start including enough glasses with TVs, for your average family of 4.

People will get used to it though, just like we gamers got used to being shafted with new consoles. They only come with ONE controller now and NO game (Unless it's a special bundle, that comes after launch), even the damn Wii which is marketed as a "Family" experience, and a second one will set you back $60+.

Funny how a system can cost $200-$300, and include one...but buy one separate and it's $60-$70.

If people are dumb enough to buy it and not complain, it will keep getting sold. The most brand recognized companies FEED off of this. Apple, Sony...

The wii is (and im really sorry to all Nintendo heads) a big pile of junk.

What have Nintendo done for its faithful one super mario game with another in the works bar the side stroller?

No real new metroid (i haven't heard metroid on Wiis praise at all)

and a few games like punch out etc...

No graphical finesse, it may as well be a gamecube with some magic wands.

I fucking love nintendo but the past few years have seen nintendo surive on mainstream crap...

I still think its pretty much the end of hardcore nintendo.

Hmmmm, indeed.

Ok how about this! I just erased a ton of text cause I came across this. Blows all that other crap out the box but they are not marketing it yet. WHY? Just as I said... not enough media out for people to want to spend fat cash on it. Im sure this TV would put the Raging Final Atomic Demon Buster on your savings account.

Source

Philips’ 56-inch HD 3D display has four times the standard resolution of any TV. That’s awesome. But the fact it can be watched with your own eyes without wearing silly glasses (or imposing a serious headache) is causing people to check themselves. Because they just might wreck themselves trying to figure out how it works and how to buy it.

Yesterday, Philips unveiled the first Quad Full / Autosteroscopic 3D HD TV (see pic below) at a 3D event in Hollywood, after years of development. Quad Full TVs push through data at such a fast rate that they increase a display’s screen resolution to a truly sick 3840×2160 (or 8.29 million pixels), four times the number of pixels of the highest HDTV standard.

That’s important for 3D-focused screens, because the data speed and high resolution is needed to create believable, high-quality 3D images.

Autostereoscopic displays are an important innovation because they produce good depth perception without the use of special glasses. As Prof. Neil Dodgson from the University of Cambridge’s Graphics and Imaging department notes, street advertisers have used 3-D displays most recently because it’s the only one of the four main markets where a glasses-based 3-D solution can’t be used.

The three other markets (entertainment, scientific and medical visualization, and remote manipulation) could wait until the unit’s resolution capabilities caught up to speed.

But now that the Quad HD 3D TV genie is out of the bag, the technology is ready to go mainstream. Except there’s one tiny, but important part that’s missing.

Autostereoscopic displays, Prof. Dodgson says, ‘have the potential of making an impact in the consumer market. However . . . there needs to be a significant amount of good content, which it is currently lacking. (told ya)

Because content is king, Philips will promote their 3D WoW Technology with the TV.

3D WoW rewrites regular HD programming to 3D (wills edit: crap 3D as seen in Clash of the Titans remake) so users can pick for themselves which specific blade in the 3D version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon will be coming at ya.

Still, Prof. Dodgson does think this TV significantly breaks the previous barrier of entry: the need for a compelling (read: real) 3D

experience with a great image quality.

The Quad 3D TV’s large collection of pixels produce images take advantage of the same ol’ right-left human optical trick, and its speed slaps the images together at once. This creates a large viewing angle (160 degrees) and a very high image contrast. Otherwise, the images wouldn’t pop out of the screen — they’d look transparent and uselessly weak.

Philips promises up to 46 views at once, which means the resolution is 23 times better than the crappy 3D you’ve seen before.

Yea... like I said... $25,000 price tag currently. Even though its still not on the market.

The wii is (and im really sorry to all Nintendo heads) a big pile of junk.

What have Nintendo done for its faithful one super mario game with another in the works bar the side stroller?

No real new metroid (i haven't heard metroid on Wiis praise at all)

and a few games like punch out etc...

No graphical finesse, it may as well be a gamecube with some magic wands.

I fucking love nintendo but the past few years have seen nintendo surive on mainstream crap...

I still think its pretty much the end of hardcore nintendo.

I can't agree with that. I own a 360 and over 30 games, and while it gets the majority of my play, my GF also owns a Wii and I think it's awesome when effort is put into the games.

I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy for her Wii, and I love what they've done with the Wiimote for all 3 games. The problem is with devs that don't actually make use of the controller, and MAKE it a gimmick...little waggles to do something they should have programmed full motion to do ie; Swing a sword, swing the controller...not barely move it, or your sword barely moves, ya dig? This IS possible, the devs just have to actually do it, instead of just copying and pasting source from the SDK for basic motion into their code.

There is an accelerometer in the remote for a reason, it's just rarely used.

Too many 3rd party devs being lazy and trying to make a quick buck are the Wii's problem, the Wii itself is awesome and there are enough games all-told, to make it a respectable purchase.

If you want to talk Shovelware though...I STILL point the finger at the PS2. Touted as having the largest library ever? Sure, but once you pull all the junk out, you're left with what? Enough A list titles to count on 2 hands, and the B rated ones on my toes?

I don't count multi-platform games, remakes or arcade ports as titles for a system btw.

Sorry to hijack your thread here a little Grim.

You make a good point cinder about the crap been shovelled on to the wii we all know graphics Dont make a game awesome they only help we all know this we have played games long enough.

The last time a nintendo game genuinely got me pumped was prime on the cube.

If Nintendo Dont fly the flag on great games no one else will.

And while the wii prints money why change tactics?

When I look at a Wii games shelf I just go "fuck me...."

nintendo has the rep of keeping the squeaky clean image,they let a lot of shit slide on the nes but on the snes they gave publishers hell for trying to release anything too edgy. and now adays they are really all about the casual mom and kid gamers of course they toss the fanboys a few bones every now and then, but the hardcore old school nintendo fans really dont have a say in what nintendo does now adays. as long as their two gimicky systems keep spitting out money for them they will continue on this path for a while .

Hmmmm, indeed.

Ok how about this! I just erased a ton of text cause I came across this. Blows all that other crap out the box but they are not marketing it yet. WHY? Just as I said... not enough media out for people to want to spend fat cash on it. Im sure this TV would put the Raging Final Atomic Demon Buster on your savings account.

Source

Philips’ 56-inch HD 3D display has four times the standard resolution of any TV. That’s awesome. But the fact it can be watched with your own eyes without wearing silly glasses (or imposing a serious headache) is causing people to check themselves. Because they just might wreck themselves trying to figure out how it works and how to buy it.

Yesterday, Philips unveiled the first Quad Full / Autosteroscopic 3D HD TV (see pic below) at a 3D event in Hollywood, after years of development. Quad Full TVs push through data at such a fast rate that they increase a display’s screen resolution to a truly sick 3840×2160 (or 8.29 million pixels), four times the number of pixels of the highest HDTV standard.

That’s important for 3D-focused screens, because the data speed and high resolution is needed to create believable, high-quality 3D images.

Autostereoscopic displays are an important innovation because they produce good depth perception without the use of special glasses. As Prof. Neil Dodgson from the University of Cambridge’s Graphics and Imaging department notes, street advertisers have used 3-D displays most recently because it’s the only one of the four main markets where a glasses-based 3-D solution can’t be used.

The three other markets (entertainment, scientific and medical visualization, and remote manipulation) could wait until the unit’s resolution capabilities caught up to speed.

But now that the Quad HD 3D TV genie is out of the bag, the technology is ready to go mainstream. Except there’s one tiny, but important part that’s missing.

Autostereoscopic displays, Prof. Dodgson says, ‘have the potential of making an impact in the consumer market. However . . . there needs to be a significant amount of good content, which it is currently lacking. (told ya)

Because content is king, Philips will promote their 3D WoW Technology with the TV.

3D WoW rewrites regular HD programming to 3D (wills edit: crap 3D as seen in Clash of the Titans remake) so users can pick for themselves which specific blade in the 3D version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon will be coming at ya.

Still, Prof. Dodgson does think this TV significantly breaks the previous barrier of entry: the need for a compelling (read: real) 3D

experience with a great image quality.

The Quad 3D TV’s large collection of pixels produce images take advantage of the same ol’ right-left human optical trick, and its speed slaps the images together at once. This creates a large viewing angle (160 degrees) and a very high image contrast. Otherwise, the images wouldn’t pop out of the screen — they’d look transparent and uselessly weak.

Philips promises up to 46 views at once, which means the resolution is 23 times better than the crappy 3D you’ve seen before.

Yea... like I said... $25,000 price tag currently. Even though its still not on the market.

Do you forget that when Plasma sets came out, a 42" set would run you around the same? Yet here' the kicker with that, Plasma technology had been around for DECADES prior to it becoming consumer TV gear...