Looking for a good free rts

nurdkrusher

Best bet is to search through freeware game sites, there's plenty out there. None of them look like they'd be too hard on your laptop. I've never tried any though. The Spring Engine looks interesting, only coz it has some Total Annihilation based games, and Total Annihilation was awesome. http://springrts.com/

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/

It's Dota if the original creators stood up and made their own game (which they did).

It's not really an "RTS" but it is in the same gameplay style.

Anyways, if you really want to play an RTS and can't spend "too much" money, I'd suggest you just "rent" one of the local "renting" sites.

Series to try out...

Warcraft (all of them should work on that laptop)

DoW: 40,000 (doubt it'll work at 30 FPS, but it's good)

Age of Empires (every single one of them up until the latest one should work, Age of Mythology is my personal favorite)

Starcraft (I personally dislike it, but a good amount of the human population seem to think it's Jesus)

Company of Heroes (I doubt this will work even at even 20 FPS, but it's worth a mention)

Yup, those are all of the mainstream RTS games (that I know off), indie rts games I stay away from, unless it's advised by someone I trust.

Can't believe they're free now, but I think there's a problem if an RTS fan couldn't come up Command and Conquer by himself. There's also a problem if an RTS fan doesn't already own the Command and Conquer series. Besides, I don't care what anyone says, Total Annihilation is the best RTS ever.

Can't believe they're free now, but I think there's a problem if an RTS fan couldn't come up Command and Conquer by himself. There's also a problem if an RTS fan doesn't already own the Command and Conquer series. Besides, I don't care what anyone says, Total Annihilation is the best RTS ever.

Never been a huge RTS fan but, after playing Brutal Legend i kinda wanna play some. Only had C&C on consoles, as a matter of fact, i do 99% of gaming on my old Xbox. Just trying to catch up and play all the games i couldnt when i was a kid, now that i actually have some spare time.

As for not having C&C...not everyone likes em, not everyone has been exposed to them and the topic was FREE, they weren't always free.

I'm not really impressed by them being free, my nice big Worldwide Warfare Collection is pretty much worth nothing now. Though the Dawn expansion and the Red Alert expansions don't seem to be offered, and you're REALLY missing out with the RA expansions.