A Nightmare On Elm Street

Lucandrake

well lets see, the halloween remakes sucked. the friday the 13th remake sucked, Micheal Bay sucks. so I'm not giving this one good odds.

of course I'll see it anyways.

I'm actually quite pleased that Robert Englund is passing the torch, the guy's getting old after all. What remains to be seen is can the new Freddy do appropriate justice to the old one.

I was disappointed when I found out that the role of Freddy wouldn't be played by Robert. To a sense, he is what made the character fucking awesome. His smile still makes me glee with insanity when watching the movies. That being said, I have high hopes for the new Freddy, Jackie Earle Haley. He was awesome in Watchmen playing Rorschach, even though the ending sucked huge donkey dicks in that movie. I hope he'll be able to add a serious tone I feel Freddy much deserves.

Warning:Text beyond this point has nothing to do with the re-make, more of my child-hood with the series.

Anyways, after watching the trailer I had a sudden urge of watching one of the movies after 5 something years (I used to watch them every other weekend during my noob years here on 1Emu). I popped Freddy's Dead (with 3D head-ache glasses!) and was freaked out at how my perspective's have changed. I remember enjoying it, because I considered it "good". Now I enjoy it because I consider it stupid! All I could do though is question reason, purpose, plot-holes (holy shit does this movie answer a lot of the series questions only to add 50 more, I recall a scene where Freddy says he started to kill the children because his daughter was taken away from him by the town. The reason implied that his daughter was taken away was because he killed his wife. He killed his wife because his wife was peeking inside the shed only to figure out what he was doing in his spare time. So he was killing children BEFORE his daughter was taken away from him? Then the movie goes into this nature-nurture circle that I won't even get into) etc.

I remember saving up money as a 9 year old back in 99 when they where all released in a boxed set in order to purchase them all. Reading as much as possible (before I knew the internet) on the series, upcoming sequels (I still own a horror movie guidebook that hinted at a Freddy Vs. Jason flick aimed for 2001 release), and the boxes themselves (I used to take them into the shitter just to re-read the plot synopsis). Shortly after completing the collection however my father took a hammer to the entire VHS set convinced that it was the reason for my evil childhood acting up (it couldn't have been because I was fucking 9), soon after anything "violent" became taboo. Didn't stop me from collecting up money and purchasing the entire set on DVD a 2nd time though. Granted I was 13 when I did get it and my violent outbursts went into "silent" form (where only my mother knew about any of it). Shit I'm attached to the series like meth addicts high on meth. O well, I can do nothing but sit back and enjoy the series now from a completely odd perspective. Maybe I'll chill back this weekend and just watch the entire thing again. To boot, now that I know internet, I'll even "buy" the M.T.V series and chow down on those Tales of the Crypt rips.

Robert England played Freddy way to goofy in everything past part one. all the movies after the first one are just retarded.

Part 2, Freddy possesses a kid just cuz he lives in Nancy's old house?! why he has to possess a kid to kill for him when he can do it himself in dreams is up in the air.

Part 3, Dream warriors..... Craven is a horror legend right? Kids become wizards and kung fu masters in thier dreams.

Part 4, continues the stupid dream warriors story, with the lead taking on powers of slain dream warriors.

Part 5, Freddy possesses an unborn child..... again why does he have to possess someone (especially a baby) when he is all powerful in the dream world. Freddy's momma's ghost comes back to tell some silly backstory about her being a nun raped by 100 maniacs.

Part 6, Freddys Dead. the end of the series! yeah right.

Part 7, oh hai it was all just a movie but now it's becoming real.WTF. Craven has lost it. sharks are jumped on 70's honda motorbikes, Fonze style.

Part 8, Freddy Vs Jason. oh yeah there is no possible way two washed up joke franchises smashed together for no reason could be a bad film.

I hope this reboot can modernize and wash the taint away from the series. But I don't hold high hopes.

Never really been a Freddy fan but I will admit I felt a pang of disappointment when I noticed Robert Englund not starring in it. I have a good friend who is ridiculously OBSESSED w/ Freddy and she joined this "faction" to boycott and destroy any possible way for this movie to get out. Lots of people are pissed.

I don't have high hopes for it. I can't STAND Michael Bay for one.