Tips to handling fraud/scams when scammed?

Well, im not being scammed, but my older brother from my father's side is, and well i was asked to try and help him out.

He finished Highschool several years back and his fokes told him to go to college, but wasn't well educated enough about his decision into enrolling into a college. When He enrolled into a college that was not an official "college" per se' the college was actually a money making scam that still exists to this day and the college is called Devry University/College, he stayed at Devry for only 1 semester and they're saying that he owes $5,500 for a semester, which he only registered for 4 classes two of them being remedials and the other two being supposebly college classes. Now, the last time he attended this college was in Fall 2006 and well admittedly he hasn't paid these people a cent. Today, he's recieving calls from an debt agency called National Recovery, these people have been trying to get him to pay a sum $6,200 and they have even offered to cut it down to $200 less which is still alot. Earlier today i have done some research on both the school and this so called Debt agency. It turns out that this Devry school is actually a corperation that promises to offer students work once they graduate with a bachelors or masters degree, but also they claim to offer hands on work with assignment based majors given in class. Now, i cannot say if either of this is true, but what is certain is that this school is not really a school like CUNY or SUNY Colleges/Universities. Now, this debt agency called National Recovery, which took me quite a bit of time to figure out, if this was a scam or some company that performs illegal business practices and well it turns out that these guys actually do.. Now these guys continue to call him every week to remind him that he must pay up or else it will hit his credit report. From my understanding, Devry sold his information to these fake debt agency (which are considered "Loan Sharks") for probably half of what my brother should have paid devry and these guys are looking to make a profit from my brother and if my brother did pay up to National Recovery, National recovery would then sell back his information to devry or something and then devry will want him to pay what he owes, which is $5,500 and if he doesn't it may get sold back to another debt agency or National Recovery again.

The only advice i could give my brother is to not pay either of these a companies a dime and with any luck it'll fade out in 7 years. But I just feel terrible saying something like this, i mean he works really hard and at the moment he's attending a cisco program (that's free and legit) I made this post hoping that maybe anyone would have any ideas or similar experiences and ways of dealing with this and i will be honest my brother doesnt have that kind of money, I don't know anyone who would spend over $9000 for a semester, so if anyone could help, that would be great.

Here's also the links i found about Devry and National Recovery.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/129/RipOff0129204.htm - Devry

http://www.ripoff.com/reports/0/453/RipOff0453216.htm - National Recovery

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Snow Patr0l

Unfortunately you probably can't do anything with a lawyer because these people usually cover their asses pretty well. There is a chance they are lying about it showing up on your credit report to scare you, make sure before you make any decisions but that is a pretty common scare tactic people like this use. To me it sounds like they are lying though, you say he owes money from 2006, and they are claiming if you don't pay now it will begin to show up on your credit report soon? BS! It would already be on his credit report!

I wonder, can Devry already post this on his credit report? and if his personal information was sold to National Recovery, could they also post it twice? extending it longer than 7yrs?

Edited by Snow Patr0l

If when he enroled he signed a form which stated that the course fees were that much per semester, and he attended actual classes for that semester, then legally there's nothing that can be done. In fact legally he would have to pay, as it would be in writing that he agreed to pay that much for the service of education they provided. Even if that service was crap. If however when he enroled there was no form stating how much the fees were, then there may be a course of legal action to take. When I went to university, at the start of each year of my degree, we had to register. To register you filled in a form, which stated the tuition fees, and you had to queue up to pay the fee there and then, by credit card, bank transfer, cheque or whatever, before the semester started. If you failed to pay, you didn't get taught. Obviously if there was some special circumstance as to why you couldn't pay right away they'd allow you some time, but if you didn't come up with the money they'd essentially throw you off the course. The fact that these people taught your brother without taking payment is evidence of their fraudulent nature. But if they have his signature on anything that clearly states an agreement to pay those high fees, they may well have him. The only thing to do is to seek legal advice. But legal advice costs money. Even if they can't help you. I would be careful about doing nothing though. If these people keep calling it's only a matter of time until they start knocking on the door.

I don't know the specifics of those two organizations but I don't think they can. What you need to do is get a copy of the TOS for both organizations, if you want I can read it for you and try to make sense of it. My girlfriend works at a bank so she could probably help too. It is really hard to give you advice without reading that because I don't want to tell you to do the wrong thing.

It is my understanding that your credit report has to be up to date all the time. If your credit report isn't up to date all the time then what good is it? I know for a fact most banks report to credit bureau every 3 months, and if you miss a payment they report it the next month after giving you a call (assuming you don't pay). I'm pretty sure it is a legal requirement to report at least every 6 months as well (It used to be a year and I think they changed it to 6 months, either way your good). I think like one guy said in one of those links if you pay it you will screw yourself.

You could hire a debt consolidation agency BUT BE VERY CAREFUL WHICH ONE YOU CHOOSE. Many of these are scams as well, go with someone legit. Once these people call up National Recovery they will stop fucking around because the agency will be very familiar with all the laws and regulations and National Recovery will know this.

You/your brother definitely need to speak to a legal expert before thinking for a second of paying the money. And tell them every detail of what's happened, as well as show them any paper work you have from the college and debt collectors.

@shibathedog, I will ask my brother if he did fill out anything and we both might take a trip to this school sometime this week to ask a few questions about the TOS and his personal information. I may decide to call this debt agency and prompt them a couple of questions and also record the phone call in case i hear something that intrigues me.

@The-Ice-Man, I've never known a legal expert, but can't be hard to find one.

Edited by Snow Patr0l

If he went to school then he owes the money. That's that. I assume he went on student loans. He either pays up or lives with shit credit for 7 years.

I wonder, can Devry already post this on his credit report? and if his personal information was sold to National Recovery, could they also post it twice? extending it longer than 7yrs?

If they sent his account to a collection agency, it'll be posted on his credit report. However it is illegal of them to renew the issue if it's been over 7 years. I had the same problem with Afni Inc. Look them up and you'll come up with lots of info on how to battle something like this.