The word filter

dead horses are not safe around you are they?

We don't need a topic for a new blog post :/ There's a whole thread for that.

Dismantling rationale: While this may all be fine and dandy in theory, understanding that kids aged 10+ already have a relatively firm grasp on curse words in today's society is paramount to exemplifying why such a measure is largely useless. Children are already largely exposed to such words to a much higher degree from their normal everyday environment. Places like their household and school and their friends already teach them all they need to know about such words.

Based on that, it is erroneous to think that a simple word filter will: 1. lessen their chances of picking up curse words and 2. discouraging them from the usage of said expletives. Being that emulation is a relatively minuscule niche when taking into account their gaming habits, almost close to non-existent the younger they are, the impact of the word filter is not only absolutely 0, but also presents a much more severe negative side.

This is slightly a one sided perspective. Whether minors are exposed to such language it doesn't mean that everyone should contribute to it. Two wrongs don't make a right remember? If parents allow their children to join a forum such as this, they're not expecting a bunch of trash talk. They're expecting their child to talk to others who are interested in the same hobbies. It's not only about children anyway. Some adults are insulted at such vocabulary. Sometimes I find myself annoyed for the fact that some people feel the need to curse just to get emphasis on a point. Most of the time it isn't necessary and it's usually because the person doesn't read a dictionary.

Censorship: As any of my fellow opponents of all things created for the purpose of serving censorship will agree, the word filter is dangerous, harmful and completely undesirable. It sets an alarming precedent and a very bad example to other sites, and such a behavior should never be tolerated. It is an infringement of free speech, and is ironically being promoted by a site based in the Land of Freedom. If we factor in the fact that it is a forced feature and in no way an option for the users of this site, the matter becomes worse.

That's just ridiculous. If I had the power, I would censor ignorant comments myself. Especially if it was on MY site. I want to have the reputation of being clean and professional instead of having a bunch of filth on my website for the world to see. Using censorship as a point against the filter is pretty moot. If it was about something more serious as your OPINION about something, that would be different. You can state your opinion as long as it's not muddled with filthy language. If you can't say something without cursing, pick up a dictionary or thesaurus and do it right.

Flaws of implementation: Considering that it acts by changing letters found in a word or by changing the word considered to be offensive to a different one, it may also be considered that it promotes bad grammar and spelling. The end result is also defeating it's purpose, as often times words either synonymous or simply unchanged enough to make any visible difference. The original meaning and intent of the message containing curse words will still be largely unaffected.

Again, use a dictionary to get accurate results. There are better and meaningful words to emphasize something instead of F*** and S***.

Conclusion: I'd like to point out a possible solution to this. As the administrators of this site seem unwilling to completely remove it, I propose a change to make it an option in each user's account settings, thereby enabling other users who do not wish to view such words to benefit from the option, and also giving back the right of free speech to people who do not wish to be censored. As such, for the first group of people, words considered harmful should appear as a series of asterisk marks (*) that have the same length as the original word. I believe this to be the optimal solution to our current quandary.

It would be too time consuming and pointless. People on here aren't THAT concerned about it. It might get frustrating sometimes but it's not anything that extreme to make the admins completely change a solid foundation of something.

I respect your views but maybe you shouldn't be so worked up about something like this.

The entire minor thing is self-destroying. It isn't that he's making two wrongs, it's more that when you consider something wrongful(like "filthy" language) the rebellious (minors) will abuse it to either piss you off or show you the faults and ignorance of the rule. It's because "you" consider it a "curse" word that the word becomes "filthy", not because the minors constantly spur it to express themselves (or adults for that matter). If anything, word filters promote minors to curse Also just because "some" adults (Specifically GameCop) find it "insulting" doesn't mean that it's meant to come off as disrespectful or hurtful. That's just making up emotions.

Don't you think that the opposite is true as well? I find it insulting when someone demands I "limit" my vocabulary because they feel that an English word is capable of belittling them, especially when no intention of it was there. It's pride that I see get hurt, pride is usually what get's us into arguments in the first place (by the way, pride is also the reason "curse" words exist).

Your site isn't your community. While the admins in here are the ones "liable" in case of anything happens, the members are what make the site work. You can stamp your name on a site but if you disrespect or brake the trust of the members (which by the way, the majority want the word filter gone,check it) then the site pretty much ends up being ran off fear or dedicated members. I can recall times where I would be preparing a post or a thread and stop writing halfway through because of how some people would respond. Honesty is greater then desires of no one getting hurt (because they will either way).

I love how you constantly state "Pick up a Dictionary" or "Pick up a Thesaurus". Obviously everyone in here (at least the current casual member on 1emulation at the moment) has a pretty wide vocabulary. Honestly the only times when a curse word pops up now and again is when it IS a necessity. I say IS because it sometimes it IS a necessity. Instead of creating walls of texts declaring my opinions as vividly as I can, forming poetry on the site and creating beauty as well; I sometimes really just want to say Fuck it and move on. It's not my lack of vocabulary that makes me feel that way, it's my heart. How would you feel if I limited your heart from the site by declaring it incapable of holding posts higher then 40 characters? You wouldn't be able to describe any of what you write half the time if that happened.

I don't know why Axl is worked up over it, but I know that I'm worked up over it because I know plenty of times where the entire filter worked against me (and the community) instead of for me (and the community again as well).

Your points are understood but I believe you're taking the whole deal wayyyyyy too harsh. I made very short points (without getting into too much detail) just to give a different perspective on each subject. I'm still standing by what I said. You can FEEL and express those feelings without being insulting about it. Not everyone thinks like you or I so it would be unfair to us to make them read something that we know would bother them.

Honestly your statement about cursing as a necessity is pretty laughable to me (no offense). It is a necessity to embellish something that means anything to you. However, it doesn't have to be in trailer park or ghetto fabulous grammar. I'm not saying you should go on writing paragraph upon paragraph...just one or two words or sentences.

I think the filter shouldn't apply to personal messages. If someone has an issue that's legitimately heartfelt and needs to vent, by all means, message others with your problems. But to have people read certain things that they might take offense to shouldn't be allowed.

Developing relationships with the people that make your site work...I'll say this: IF they are THAT upset about something as piddling as a word filter and not appreciate the other threads that are allowed by members only, I'd say step on. That's probably why I don't have my own site.

It's about respect for everyone. No person is the same.

I personally "curse" quite often on and off the web..I don't judge people for saying things however they want. I start to care when people want others to do and be just like them. Most people WANT it gone? Well, there are few who don't.

The word filter doesn't stop the disrespect, or does it have any effect on how a person goes about hurting others. Hell I can probably come up with a paragraph of insecurities on the majority of the members here and hurt them more than I would had I stated the casual insult.

Also I fail to see how you can cope with the side that doesn't want the word filter but choose to ignore the side that does.

I personally "curse" quite often on and off the web..I don't judge people for saying things however they want. I start to care when people want others to do and be just like them.

Same way I care when you want me to appear formal on a website on the internet. The filter prohibits me from stating my freedom with the English language. You realize you're doing the same thing that you say would offend you to the group that wants it gone right?

Even if only the minority wanted the filter gone, then I would gladly state away that for "me", the filter is disrespectful (as a writer) to my posts. Limiting me and censoring me(especially when it isn't even anything official) is putting unnecessary tape to my mouth and my writing.

As to why I'm taking it harshly, it's to show you how passionate I am about the subject. I don't mean to disrespect you or come off offensive (if I do, I'm trying extremely hard to not come off that way, so I apologize in advance).

I'm not at all offended. Likewise, I didn't intend to piss people off. I guess some of will have to agree to disagree. No biggie.

dead horses are not safe around you are they?

I make it my goal in life to beat the living shit out of any dead horse I see. I call it the "Mojo Jojo Syndrome". Thanks for the laughs.

We don't need a topic for a new blog post :/ There's a whole thread for that.

I love you too Wizzie. Posting this in the lounge has to do with my wishing for this to be a discussion since it concerns all the users of this site, not just the readers of my blog. Also, the pinned topic is closed apparently.

As for replying to your message Hera, AkihiroZi already did a far more excellent job at supporting my views and I feel the same way he does.

Exactly why the option to enable or disable the word filter based on user preference would be the best solution as I see it. People that find certain words offensive will not be bothered by them if they enable it, and the rest of us can speak how we choose to.

And time-consuming? Hehe, no, it wouldn't be. It would be the same as when someone sets their regional time settings. Just makes the site show you different stuff based on what you need. A very easily implementable option that should not take more than 5 minutes of coding.

I think a user selectable word filter was on the plate for the upgrade that was supposed to happen last year. As you can see that hasn't happened yet. Just be on the look out for the next countdown thread!

Although if I type fuck I see it as fuck and not flock. I bet you guys just saw that sentence as "Although if I type flock I see it as flock and not flock." I'm sure you can figure out where I used the proper word. I didn't change anything but one day all of a sudden I saw that I could see the bad words. I'm like the kid in Sixth Sense.