Error 12

Emu Newbie

Well it looks like i have stumbled upon another error (error 12 to be specific). I'm not really sure how this one happened. I brought my xbox over to a friend's house to play it and everything was normal. After that, I brought it home and hooked it up and the error message popped up. From what I understand, this has something to do w/ the dvd ide (sp?) cable or w/ the dvd drive itself (I've never had any problems w/ the dvd drive as of yet). So what do you guys suggest????

I've already invested a lot of time into getting this thing working how I wanted to, and I don't want to let it go. Thanks!

12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)

Pop a disc in that puppy, and listen closely to see if it spins up. If it doesn't even do that, you'll need to open it up and make sure the PE cable on the back is not loose.

If it's not and the drive won't spin up after checking cabling, you're drive is probably dead (Logic board suicide or spindle motor). Plenty to be had on the XS forums if you ask, and I think I have a couple myself. But the models I salvage and refurbish are more sought after Samsung SDG-605Bs, and fetch more $ than the others, as they read EVERYTHING.

If your drive is dead though, let me know what it is I may be willing to A: Fix it for you B: Trade you a working drive for your dead one + a little $.

12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)

Pop a disc in that puppy, and listen closely to see if it spins up. If it doesn't even do that, you'll need to open it up and make sure the PE cable on the back is not loose.

If it's not and the drive won't spin up after checking cabling, you're drive is probably dead (Logic board suicide or spindle motor). Plenty to be had on the XS forums if you ask, and I think I have a couple myself. But the models I salvage and refurbish are more sought after Samsung SDG-605Bs, and fetch more $ than the others, as they read EVERYTHING.

If your drive is dead though, let me know what it is I may be willing to A: Fix it for you B: Trade you a working drive for your dead one + a little $.

The disk begins to spin up, then it stops. So maybe the cable is loose? How would you suggest that I get in there? I know I'm gonna need some special tools. I guess my suspension is a bit too harsh for the old xbox, eh?

You need TORX bits. Pretty sure the ones for the case are #10's.

You can rule out the spindle motor if the disc will spin up, but a bad logic board is still in the cards. Check the cabling and go from there.

its usually the things that we overlook that cause the most problems, they also tend to make one believe that the problem lies elsewhere. Which in turn creates further problems that werent there. Anyhow its nice to see youve sorted it out without having to pay money.